AJ Greer commits to BU

By Meredith Perri/DFP Staff

Along with the New Year comes a new recruit.

Kimball Union Academy wing AJ Greer tweeted Thursday afternoon that he has committed to Boston University for the 2014 season.

Proud to announce that I have committed to Boston University. Thank you to everyone who has supported me with my decision. #GoTerriers #2014
— AJ Greer (@ajgreer_10) January 2, 2014

Greer originally committed to Penn State University, but in a recent interview with the blog Over the Boards, explained that he made his decision too soon. 

The Montreal native and 6-foot-3 forward is in his second year at KUA. During 2012-13 season, he registered 16 goals and 19 assists in 29 games. Greer, who was born in 1996,  played with current BU freshmen Nick Roberto and Doyle Somerby last year and is the co-captain of this season’s Wildcats squad.

According to U.S. Hockey Report, Greer, whose family adviser is former Terrier goaltender Peter Fish (1984-89), also looked at other Hockey East schools.

Greer’s announcement comes just a few days after 6-foot-4 wing Jordan Greenway, who most recently played for the United States U-17 squad, committed to BU for 2015.

1. With every new recruit announcement, the closer BU gets to being a powerhouse again. The next few years are going to be very exciting!! Great job by Quinn and Greely getting these guys to commit!

2. Is he suppose to be Kurker’s replacement?

3. KUA guys haven’t done much for us recently. How will Greer be different?

4. 2014 or 2015?

5. hmmm, not sure. good question. I guess with the season resuming this weekend, we’ll know soon enough if he and Collier are leaving for good.

6. Kurker is still on the team so I’m going to guess a no on that one. You are losing 5 seniors and now have 6 freshmen coming in.

7. Roberto’s a KUA guy and he has been a productive member of our freshman class.

• Yep, Roberto is barely averaging half a point a game while getting major minutes on one of our “top” lines. With production like that, I wish he had gone to another school so we had his roster spot open for a real player.

8. I’m calling it now: this guy will be a disappointment.

9. USCHO reports that Boston University has the strongest recruiting class in all of the country. I wonder where the negative DQ hater will be posting from his mom’s basement when BU returns to a top 3 team in the country….things look great for the future….