Pluses and Minuses: More of the latter in loss to Bentley

By Tim Healey/DFP Staff 

And now, they rest.

The Boston University men’s hockey team wrapped up an underwhelming first semester with an embarrassing 4-1 loss to Bentley University at Agganis Arena. The Terriers (7-8-2, 2-4-1 Hockey East) now have just under two weeks off before their next practice, and three weeks off before their next game.

Not a whole lot went BU’s way Saturday night, but here’s a look at what went right and what went wrong.

Minuses 

Speed and effort
BU coach David Quinn put it simply: Bentley was just the better team. The Falcons (8-7-1) skated faster, beat the Terriers to loose pucks and converted on chances when they got them. The Terriers couldn’t keep up.

Quinn said maybe the team has grown complacent — complacent with what, however, he did not specify – or maybe they don’t fear being benched since the team has no available scratches for the time being.

The difference was especially evident when Bentley scored twice in the first six minutes of the second frame to open up a 3-0 lead. One goal was the result of an offensive-zone turnover while on the power play, the other after a long stretch pass behind the BU defensemen.

Quinn then used the team’s timeout.

“I thought guys were getting individualistic,” Quinn said.

Matt O’Connor
This might be the first time this season the sophomore netminder has found himself on this side. The 6-foot-6, 204-pounder allowed three goals while making his seventh straight start, as classmate Sean Maguire is sidelined with back problems.

To be sure, O’Connor made a number of pretty saves, and the score could have been uglier than 4-1. But he likely wants back at least the third Falcon tally, when Bentley junior Brett Switzer sniped the lop-left corner after O’Connor was faked out and started moving right.

Switzer said the Falcons didn’t try to exploit anything in particular in O’Connor’s game — just get pucks to the net for chances in close.

Quinn, for his part, commended O’Connor.

“He has been great,” Quinn said. “He has been great for a long time.”

Coaching?
I’m not a fly on the wall of the BU locker room, so I don’t know exactly what Quinn says between periods or after the game. But the Terrier bench boss was quick to blame himself for the Terriers’ poor performance — then vowed to do better.

“We got outworked tonight, and that’s on me,” Quinn said. “That’s not them, that’s my fault, because that’s my No. 1 responsibility as a coach.”

Pluses 

Shot totals
It’s certainly no consolation given the circumstances, but for the first time since Nov. 17 against UConn, the Terriers put more shots on goal than their opponent. The final margin was 43-34.

Sophomore center Danny O’Regan had a game-high six, while the trio of sophomore defenseman Matt Grzelcyk, freshman wing Nick Roberto and sophomore wing Matt Lane garnered five apiece.

Penalties
In a cruel irony fitting of the Terriers’ first-semester finale, one of Quinn’s pet peeves — penalties — was not an issue in their final game and arguably worst loss of the calendar year.

Of the two, junior wing Evan Rodrigues was called for hooking in the first, and the other — freshman center Robbie Baillargeon for goalie interference in the second — Quinn and the BU crowd vehemently disagreed with. Baillargeon was playing close to the net when he collided with a Bentley player and fell on goaltender Branden Komm.

1. O’Conner gave up goals on a great deflection, a breakaway, and a 2 on 1 after a turnover. None of them were his fault.

2. Baillargeon’s penalty was so obviously an attempt to hit the goalie to throw him off his game. He’s lucky he only got 2 minutes.

3. Did DQ crack jokes during the intermissions to get the team motivated?

4. Did you leave your Mom’s basement to go get the snacks she made you?

• Wow – another DQ family member resorts to personal attacks to detract from the lousy job DQ is doing.

• All the losing by DQ is really pushing our fan base over the edge.

• Wow, another pathetic reference to a “family member”…so lame. All you do is throw personal attacks at his family/friends that you think are posting on here yet that’s ok? all the losing? uh…7-8-2 tells me they’ve lost only one more game than they’ve won but I don’t expect someone like you to grasp that.

• We are BU – one game under .500 is unacceptable. Or is that the new normal with DQ in charge?

5. WE are BU? Oh boy now he thinks he’s a player/coach…

6. I am not sure a coach is responsible for his team getting outworked. If they got out-coached that’s one thing. My impression is that getting outworked means you as an individual player and collectively as a team did not put in enough effort physically and mentally to win. Where does the Coach fit in? Is he on the ice?

7. he only gets blames if they lose. The idiot above suddenly goes silent when they win and then reappears to trash talk when they lose. Ignore him.

8. have patience terrier fans bu will get better