From the FreeP: Limping to the break, Terriers host Bentley for first time ever

By Tim Healey/DFP Staff

In the grand scheme of a six-month, 34-game regular season, a single contest against an Atlantic Hockey Association team is not particularly significant.

Saturday’s matchup between the Boston University men’s hockey team and Bentley University at Agganis Arena, however, is a little different.

For the Terriers (7-7-2, 2-4-1 Hockey East), it will be the unofficial end of an inconsistent first half. It could be the difference between finishing a game above .500 and a game below. And against a red-hot Falcons squad (7-7-1), it should prove to be a pretty good test, too.

So does this game carry a little more weight with the team than a typical Saturday night of hockey would? David Quinn thinks so.

“I hope so. I hope to them it does. To me it does,” the head coach said of the program’s first-ever matchup with Bentley. “You’re going to live with it until Jan. 4 [when BU plays Harvard]. And it would be nice to get over .500 before the break. It makes you feel good about yourself, and that’s what we want to do. It would be nice to go to practice on the 27th over .500 and coming off a win.

“It would certainly make the holidays more enjoyable.”

For more, visit dailyfreepress.com

1. It’s amazing how we have played a soft scheduled and we are just .500 overall and in next to last place in HE with a under .500 record. Last year, Parker took less talent to a better record. It looks like having a competent coach in charge really does matter.

• Michigan, BC, Providence (twice), RPI, Wisconsin, North Dakota (twice). Yeah, what a soft schedule.

Sure, there are 3 Atlantic Hockey teams on the list, too, but ask BC how soft Holy Cross is.

You must be a student, since you don’t have the relatively recent memories of sub .500 teams with better talent than this one has under Parker.

2. Saying that we’re “limping” into the break is a little inaccurate. We are on “life support”. We are the second worse team in HE and DQ has proven to be a complete flop so far.

3. Collier has been such a disappointment this year. He was out top recruit and DQ has already benched him.

4. How this helps BU hockey, playing Bentley, is beyond me. I saw part of the Maine AIC game last night. Terrible hockey. College hockey better get its act together if it is to go forward with any success. I remember when we played International teams and Olympic development teams. Quality of play way down. Even BC does not play as up tempo a game as they have in the past. Maybe this has all gone with the wind.

5. Tonight is “Show Your Support for DQ Night”. Let’s see how many peoole show up. I’m going to guess that not many will be there.

6. As long as you’re not, then it will be a smashing success!!