From the FreeP: Despite Terrier loss, David Quinn has happy reunion with family

By Tim Healey/DFP Staff
After the Boston University men’s hockey team’s 3-1 loss to No. 3 Providence College on Saturday, BU coach David Quinn was less than pleased. Poorly timed penalties again did his team in, as BU missed a chance to sweep a home-and-home series against one of the top-ranked squads in the country, and the No. 18 Terriers remained winless on the road.

But about a minute and half later, Quinn had more important business to tend to.

He walked through the bowels of the Friars’ home rink and up a small set of metal stairs to hug four children, each clamoring for his attention. Quinn’s smile was as wide as it was the day he was named BU’s head coach.

Quinn’s four cousins — all 11 years old or younger — were part of a contingent 16 people strong who came to see him at Schneider Arena. Quinn, a Cranston, R.I. native, grew up 10 minutes from Schneider, where he also played plenty in his youth.

Saturday was his first time there since being named BU’s head coach in March.

“I have a lot of memories and a lot of great memories there,” Quinn said prior to the weekend series. “It will be special. It will be pretty cool to go down there and play against the Friars and be the head coach of BU. That will be pretty neat.”

1. Interesting to see DQ happy after a loss. I’d like to see a more competitive coach behind the bench who won’t be happy after a loss.

• You’d like to see a coach who won’t put on a smile to greet family and kids who are excited to see him after a game in his home state? Please put things in perspective and stop using any and all opportunities to bash DQ. Blatantly biased comments focusing on minutia really take away from the atmosphere of constructive criticism and conversation about the important issues. Take your negative agenda elsewhere. Go BU!

2. Omg, really? This article is about the man being happy to see his family in his home town, as any normal person would be – not the loss. 2nd sentence says he was less than pleased about loss. Look at his recent press conferences – and you’ll see an extremely competitive coach who has been quite frustrated with the team’s away game losses. It’s his first season with a really young team, so calm down.

• LOL – the “young team” excuse again? We’re not even the youngest team in Hockey East nor do we have the most freshmen in Hockey East.

3. When DQ can forget the loss in “a minute and a half” it says to me that he isn’t fully committed to the team. This is a huge problem.

• Are you kidding? Not committed because he greeted family. See the replies above. Get real and give David a chance to build his team. Eight games in, did you expect to be number one in the country!

4. Did DQ serve the team cookies and milk after the loss?

5. I think you are related to or close to someone Who thinks they should’ve gotten the head coach job over quinn. So completely obvious you know nothing about what you post, only attacking when they lost. Where were your negative comments after they beat PC after being down 3? Hmm….right!