From the FreeP: No. 19 BU to host X-Men in exhibition

By Tim Healey/DFP Sports

For the first time since a dramatic loss in the Hockey East Championship in March, the No. 19 Boston University men’s hockey team will take to the ice against another school Saturday, and the result will not mean anything — at least, not explicitly.

First-year head coach David Quinn and his Terriers will host St. Francis Xavier University at 7 p.m. at Agganis Arena. The X-Men are a Canadian college team, which are generally a tier or two below their NCAA Division I counterparts, and the game is a mere exhibition, and the score itself is meaningless.

What is important is that the coaching staff, led by Quinn and associate head coach Steve Greeley, will get a first look at the 2013-14 Terriers in an environment other than drills or an intrasquad scrimmage.

“I’m interested in where our conditioning is,” Quinn said. “To me, there are two things we absolutely want to do — we want to be fast and physical. To me, those are the two things we’re looking for. We’re not going to have a lot of chances to go over systematic things [before the game].

“This week, we’ll at least touch on the things that we’re going to have to have systematically in place Saturday night and we can build off it. For me, I’m really just looking for puck skills, how fast we are and how physical we are.”

For more, visit dailyfreepress.com.

1. St. Francis Xavier University is a terrible team. Anything less than a 8 goal victory will be a disappointment with the talent that’s on this team.

2. Parker left tons of talent for DQ. I expect big things from this team. If we don’t get to the Frozen Four with the talent on this team then we need to get a better coach immediately.

3. roll tide

4. This team is up front almost all Freshmen. It will take some time to develop into a team. You people are a little over the top.

5. Talented team????? Omg, the delusions are already starting….