Garrett Noonan, Patrick MacGregor named 2013-14 co-captains

By Kevin Dillon/DFP Sports

The wait is finally over, and senior defensemen Garrett Noonan and Patrick MacGregor have been named co-captains of the 2013-14 Boston University men’s hockey team. Noonan and MacGregor are the first co-captains of the Terriers since Chris Connolly and Joe Pereira shared the ‘C’ in 2010-11.

“Over the last six months I’ve been really impressed by the senior leadership on this team both on and off the ice,” BU coach David Quinn said in a team release. “Garrett and Patrick were selected following a team vote and they both have what it takes to be a great leader. They’ll have the help of their fellow seniors as well, which will be very important with 10 newcomers this year.”

Noonan, who was named an assistant captain on Dec. 14 last season, returned to the Terriers despite speculation that he may forgo his senior year and sign a pro contract with the Nashville Predators. The Norfolk native was named a 2012 Hockey East Second Team All-Star.

“I wanted to be here,” Noonan told the Daily Free Press at Hockey East media day on Sept. 24. “[The Predators] were happy with my development here, I was happy and it was kind of one of those things where it kind of fit that I would stay here, finish my degree, come back and be a leader on the team.”

MacGregor, who appeared in 30 games for the Terriers last season, is expected to provide some experience among a defensive group that features four underclassmen. He has seven assists in 79 career games with the Terriers.

The captains are often announced at the team banquet after the season, but with the head coaching change from Jack Parker to Quinn, the captains spots were not officially assigned until one day before the team’s first preseason game.

“This year I think it was very important to wait because number one, new coach. Number two, nine freshmen,” Quinn told the Daily Free Press on Monday. “For me, it was a great opportunity to kind of see how they handled the freshmen in the early part of the season and let the freshmen have the say. Those are the guys that are leading them as well.

“Last year’s team may vote and then all of a sudden something may change over the summer or you don’t know how they’re going to handle freshmen. I think this was the right way to do it. Jack actually suggested it to me after I got the job and I think it was a great idea because I think it kind of worked out well.”

1. Garrett Noonan as a captain is a terrible choice. Captains are suppose to lead by example and hi all offense, no defense attitude is a bad message to be sending.

• Really? Apparently you have never watched a bu hockey game in the last 3years garrett has been the best defensive defenseman they have had

2. Choosing MacGregor is a huge slap in the face to Hohlmann. Is he in DQ’s doghouse already?