From the FreeP: BU ranked 6th in preseason Hockey East poll

By Kevin Dillon/DFP Staff

The Boston University men’s hockey team was ranked sixth in the annual Hockey East men’s preseason coaches’ poll Tuesday, which is the program’s first time finishing outside of the top four since 2005.

“The strength of our league is the depth, especially when you add a team like [No. 7 University of] Notre Dame to it, and then next year [University of Connecticut] coming to the league,” said BU coach David Quinn. “It’s a challenge night in and night out in this league. I’ve played in it. I’ve coached in it. I understand that.

“It’s going to be the team that stays healthy, the team that gets some breaks, the team that has great leadership and great goaltending. Those are the teams that are going to have a chance to have success, and we’re hoping we’re one of them.”

The Terriers, who earned 67 points in the voting, are behind No. 1 University of Massachusetts-Lowell and No. 4 Boston College, who are tied atop the Hockey East coaches’ poll with 104 points apiece. Lowell, which is coming off its first Hockey East regular-season and tournament championships in program history, received seven first-place votes. BC, which has been atop the preseason poll for six straight seasons now, received four first-place votes.

For more, visit dailyfreepress.com.

1. 6th in Hockey East seems high.

2. With the talent Parker left DQ, anything less than a Beanpot championship and a Hockey East Tournament title would be a complete failure on his part.

• You are rediculous. Are you trying to set up David for failure? Do you realize what BC and UMass Lowell have coming back? Do you understand that BC has the best incoming freshman class in the country? Maybe you know more than the HE coaches.

• Give DQ a chance to get his recruits into their sophomore and junior years. For the short time he has been head coach, he is getting some quality recruits.

• Setting up DQ for failure? Sounds like excuses are already being made. by the way, I own http://www.firedavidquinn.com. I hope I don’t have to use it.

• What the hell is your agenda?

3. Hohmann and almost no seniors up front. Talent? Maybe. THis team will need a lot of coaching to move up.

4. My only expectation for this year’s young (albeit talented) team w/ no depth is that the sum will be greater than the individual parts. I think this is exactly the type of team Quinn and his assistants should be able to coach and mold.

The tone Quinn sets this season will be the foundation towards the program’s future, esp. as a major influx of talent arrives over the next 2-3 years.

5. Is DQ going to be lax on academics like Parker or will he make his players go to class?