BU to play Maine in 2014 edition of Frozen Fenway

By Annie Maroon/DFP Staff

The Boston University men’s hockey team will take part in its second Frozen Fenway game, this one against the University of Maine, as part of a two-week series of hockey and skating events at Fenway Park in January 2014.

The City of Boston, the Hockey East Association and Fenway Sports Management announced this third edition of Frozen Fenway on Thursday. BU played Boston College in the inaugural event on Jan. 8, 2010, topping the Eagles 3-2 in front of 38,472 fans. That crowd was the largest ever to watch a college hockey game in the eastern U.S.

“It’s truly an honor to be part of Frozen Fenway once again,” said BU assistant vice president and director of athletics Mike Lynch. “We couldn’t have asked for a better night back in 2010 when we started this event against Boston College. We’re thrilled to team up with Hockey East, Fenway Sports Management and the City of Boston for what should be another fantastic game against Maine in this edition’s finale.”

The BU-Maine game at Fenway on Jan. 11, 2014 will headline the second of two Hockey East doubleheaders that week. Northeastern University and the University of Massachusetts-Lowell will play earlier in the day on the 11. Game times and ticket information will be announced in the coming months.

Merrimack College will play Providence College on Jan. 4, followed by a matchup between BC and the University of Notre Dame that evening. Public skating, which was part of the event in years past, is also expected to be part of the festivities.

“We are excited about the return of hockey to Fenway Park,” said Hockey East commissioner Joe Bertagna. “We are particularly pleased that with these two doubleheaders, all of our men’s programs will have had the opportunity to experience Frozen Fenway, including the University of Notre Dame, our newest member.”

1. I guess the BU fans and coaches won’t be whining that Frozen Fenway is overrated this year.

• 20 year season ticket holder here. My big hope is that this is counted as aMaine home game, or at least that it isn’t part of the plan. I could take the cold, but Fenway has HORRIBLE sight lines for hockey, as most baseball stadia do. Play it in Foxborough and it would be bearable.

So, yeah, it’s overrated, like that team abut further up Comm Ave and all Western schools (this year, at least.)

2. I think the recent fetish with outdoor games is driven by pure greed and does the fans no favors. Most of the people in the stands don’t have a good view of the game, and it is uncomfortably cold to boot. Sounds like fun, eh? I attended the game in 2010 and that was enough for me. I think the only way to discourage future outdoor games is to just not attend.

3. I’ve heard that Parker has refused to give up his office for the new coach Quinn. Can nayone confirm this?

4. I think it is good that they are starting to play more hockey games outdoors. Many NHL and Professional players grew up playing on outdoor rinks so I believe its a good idea to keep the tradition going since the game between Michigan and Michigan State in 2001.