Looking ahead: Six potential Jack Parker replacements

By Kevin Dillon/DFP Staff

With Boston University men’s hockey coach Jack Parker reportedly set to announce his retirement Monday, BU will have to hire a new head coach for the first time in 40 years.

There are several current coaches who fit the mold as a potential replacement for Parker. Here is a list of six potential candidates — all of whom played under Parker at BU. The years that they played for BU are listed next to their names.

David Quinn (1984-87) – Quinn, who started his coaching career as an assistant at Northeastern University, was an associate head coach for the Terriers for five years, including their national championship season in 2008-09. He left BU to become the head coach of the Lake Erie Monsters in 2009. He was promoted to assistant coach of Colorado Avalanche coach Joe Sacco in 2012, and was listed as a potential future NHL head coach by TSN’s Darren Dredger.

Mike Sullivan (1986-90) – The current assistant coach of the New York Rangers began his professional coaching career in 2002 when he led the Providence Bruins to a 41-17-9 record in 71 games as head coach. Sullivan spent the next two seasons as head coach of the Boston Bruins, when he compiled a 70-56-15-23 record. Sullivan has spent five of the past six years as an assistant coach at the NHL level, working with the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Rangers.

Mike Bavis (1989-93) – Bavis has been a member of the BU coaching staff for the past 14 seasons and is familiar with the current players and the incoming recruits. When Parker missed a weekend earlier this season due to a sore back, Bavis helped coach the team to back-to-back wins over the University of Massachusetts. Bavis does not have head coaching experience at the collegiate or professional level, but he has the most knowledge of the current roster.

Joe Sacco (1987-90) – Sacco already has a head coaching job, as he is currently the bench boss of the Colorado Avalanche. However, the former BU star could be an interesting option as Parker’s replacement. Sacco spent two seasons as an AHL assistant before serving as the Lake Erie Monsters head coach from 2007-2009. Colorado has missed the playoffs in two of the three seasons Sacco has served as its coach.

John Hynes (1994-97) – The former head coach of the U.S. National Development Program has coached the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins the past four seasons, three of which were as the head coach. Hynes was 102-46-8 in his first two seasons as Wilkes-Barre/Scranton’s head coach. Hynes has also spent three seasons as a collegiate assistant coach, working with the University of Massachusetts-Lowell in 2000-01 and the University of Wisconsin between 2002-04.

Brian Durocher (1974-78) – BU is already familiar with Durocher’s success as a coach, as he led the BU women’s hockey team to its second consecutive Hockey East championship Sunday. Durocher also was the associate head coach and recruiting coordinator for the Terriers from 1996-2004, and helped the Terriers to five NCAA tournaments. Durocher has spent eight seasons coaching women’s hockey, but he there is still a chance he moves into Parker’s old spot.

1. Quinn has to be the choice hands down. I don’t know if we can get him as the lure of $’s in the pro ranks vis a vis the stability of the college coaching situation will be the factor. Bavis has not been a good recruiter and has shown no leadership on the bench as I see it when I am close to the bench. I have no faith in this athletic director in getting the right man. Look what he has done to the B ball program. What a mess.

2. I hope the search will include some outside-BU candidates. At least talk to them top get some perspective. I don’t think the BU community is clammoring for a BU-only search.

And I think the B-Ball program is in fine shape. We’re finally leaving this garbage conference for a really good mid-major one.