Report: Jack Parker to announce retirement Monday

Boston University men’s hockey coach Jack Parker will announce his retirement Monday, according to ESPN.

The news comes one day after No. 19 BU wrapped up the No. 3 seed and home ice in the Hockey East quarterfinals next weekend. The Terriers will host Merrimack.

Parker has been BU’s bench boss for 40 seasons, guiding the Terriers to three national championships, seven Hockey East tournament championships and 21 Beanpots.

More to come as we get it.

1. Parker only has 3 national championships? He’s been at BU forever and had all those great players yet he’s only won 3. Sad…

• Not offered as an excuse, but when top players regularly leave after three (or fewer) years to go pro – you lose some significant skill and talent, Colin Wilson, Kevin Shattenkirk, David Warsofsky to name a few. Give a 5-7 player recruitment class 4 years to play together, and you have some exceptional skill and chemistry. That rarely happens at BU. The numbers of players who have played or coached in the pros is impressive. The talent and skill of the “Burn the Boats” squad was pretty amazing and it took a huge comeback late, and then a fluttering puck to win that National Championship

• Since when is 3 NCAA titles a slouch? Look at the list of top 10 coaches by wins (https://www.uscho.com/stats/coaches/mens-hockey/#top100), and only one has more than 3 and the other 8 have less than 3.

Ah, the problem of BU. A great hockey program and school, yet stuck in the shadow of others.