Terriers fall to struggling Harvard team in Beanpot consolation, 7-4

By Annie Maroon/DFP Staff

The Boston University men’s hockey team has suffered numerous losses this semester that could have jolted them into playing better. Last week’s loss in the Beanpot semifinals to a last-place Northeastern University team could have been one of those, a wake-up call to an underperforming team.
Instead, the Terriers (13-12-1, 10-7-1 Hockey East) followed that defeat up with a 7-4 loss to a Harvard University squad that entered the night with just five wins on the season, finishing fourth in the Beanpot for the second time in the last three years.

BU freshman forward Mike Moran opened the scoring just over three minutes into the game. Harvard (6-15-2, 3-12-1 ECAC) goalie Peter Traber thought he had control of a soft shot, but the rebound trickled away from him and into the slot, where Moran was there to tap it into an open net.

Senior captain Wade Megan added to the lead when, with BU shorthanded, he chipped the puck out of the defensive zone, chased it down himself, and executed a tape-to-tape give-and-go play with Hohmann for a shorthanded goal.

Harvard answered shortly afterward. BU freshman goalie Sean Maguire was against the left post after blocking a Harvard shot from the goal line. That rebound bounced off a few sticks and out into the slot, where Crimson defenseman Dan Ford slid it into the open net before Maguire got back over.
With 14.2 seconds remaining in the first, Harvard senior defenseman Danny Biega scored his second goal of the year to tie it 2-2. As he entered the zone, BU junior defenseman Patrick MacGregor sent him flying into the boards, but Biega got up, apparently unaffected, took a puck coming out of the corner and ripped a wrist shot over Maguire.

Then, as the period ended, Maguire took a stick to the head and looked shaky as he left the ice. He remained in the game, but didn’t appear to see the puck or move as well as he had before the collision.

Sophomore forward Evan Rodrigues put BU up 3-2 with a power-play goal from his new spot at the point early in the second. But Harvard came right back when they won a battle behind the BU net and center Kyle Criscuolo came away with the puck. Criscuolo found senior Marshall Everson open in the slot and Everson one-timed the pass over Maguire.

Then Harvard took the lead seconds later, when senior center Luke Greiner flipped a puck from the slot over Maguire’s shoulder.

With senior forward Ryan Santana in the box, Harvard increased its lead to 5-3 late in the second. A rebound came to Greiner in front of the net, and no BU player got to him in time to stop him from flipping it into the net.

After the Harvard goal, sophomore defenseman Alexx Privitera took a hit to the head from Harvard’s Alex Fallstrom in the defensive zone. He got up slowly, but by the time he made it back to Harvard’s zone, he’d picked up enough speed to barrel into Fallstrom and send him flying despite the fact that Fallstrom wasn’t involved in the play.

Privitera received a five-minute major penalty and a game misconduct for the hit, the third time he’s been ejected from a game this year.

BU killed off the entire five-minute Harvard power play, only to have Everson slam home a rebound just seconds after it expired and give Harvard a 6-3 lead.

Sophomore center Cason Hohmann brought BU within two with 8:36 left in the third, knocking a rebound from his winger, junior Sahir Gill, past Traber on the power play. But BU hurt its chances of coming back with several penalties late in the third, and Greiner finished off a hat trick with an empty-netter with 8.6 seconds remaining in the game.