From the FreeP: Flat power play dooms Terriers

By Annie Maroon/DFP Staff

Short of having a full two minutes on the 5-on-3 instead of just 1:56, it would be hard to imagine the Boston University men’s hockey team having a better chance to score than it did in the second period of Monday’s Beanpot semifinal loss.

Northeastern University defensemen Colton Saucerman and Dax Lauwers went to the box within four seconds of each other, just short of 17 minutes into the second period. BU (13–11–1, 10–7–1 Hockey East) was already 0-for-3 with the man advantage that night, but down 2–1 more than halfway through the game, it had no shortage of motivation to cash in on the 5-on-3.

Instead, sophomore defenseman Alexx Privitera opened the power play by shooting directly into the shins of former Terrier and current Husky (8–13–3, 4–11–3 Hockey East) captain Vinny Saponari, and his teammates followed suit.

When Northeastern’s penalty killers collapsed around senior goalie Chris Rawlings, BU stayed on the perimeter, apparently hoping the Huskies would break their formation and open up a shooting lane. They did not, and just two BU shots made it to the net on that 5-on-3, although the Terriers had possession for most of that 1:56.

“It was a huge letdown,” said senior captain Wade Megan. “You’re not going to win any games if you get opportunities like that and you’re not able to cash in and at least get some good chances. You’ve got to make teams pay for taking penalties like that, and we weren’t able to do that.”

For more, visit dailyfreepress.com.