Wesley Myron leaves BU hockey team

By Kevin Dillon/DFP Staff

Yet another player has left the Boston University men’s hockey team, as the team announced Friday afternoon freshman forward Wesley Myron left the program.

According to the team release, Myron will attempt to begin a professional career in hockey. The 6-foot-2, 188-pound forward was drafted in the sixth round (177th overall) of the 2012 NHL draft by the Vancouver Canucks.

Myron, who had recorded two goals and an assist in 21 games with the No. 9/11 Terriers, was a healthy scratch for two games before returning to the lineup against Providence College Saturday. BU coach Jack Parker said he did not plan on having Myron in the lineup for Friday night’s game at the University of Massachusetts or the first round of the Beanpot Monday night.

“I don’t think Wes has distinguished himself as ‘He has to be in the lineup.’” Parker said Thursday. “He hasn’t made the jump that, say, [freshman forward Matt Lane] has … He hasn’t played at the pace we need him to play at.”

The Victoria, British Columbia, native had impressed Parker earlier in the season, though. Parker consistently praised his performance and even started him on the first line against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Jan. 4 when senior captain Wade Megan was injured.

“He’s a smart player,” Parker said on Jan. 17. “He can play wing or center. I wanted to give him a chance to play with some better players and play with some different players, play on some power play. Actually I thought he played the best when he was there.”

Myron is the third player to leave the program by choice in the middle of the season over the past two seasons. Forward Yasin Cissé left the program in December to play in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and forward Charlie Coyle left the team for the QMJHL in December 2011.

Myron is also the third forward to leave BU in six months. In addition to Cissé, Justin Courtnall decided to forgo his senior season and sign with the Providence Bruins.

The departures leave BU a bit short up front. Walk-on Jake Moscatel, who has dressed in four games this season, could be forced into action again. Parker said senior assistant captain Ryan Ruikka will be the fourth-line right wing Friday vs. UMass.

1. What the heck is going on with this program? How the heck can someone turn “pro” when he can’t crack one of 18 forward spots on a college team?

• AA hockey league (ECHL) needs players, due to call ups to AHL, in turn due to NHL call ups of AHL players. Myron signed by K Wings……