UPDATED: Garrett Noonan named assistant captain at midway point in season

By Kevin Dillon/DFP Staff

No. 6 Boston University men’s hockey junior defenseman Garrett Noonan has been named assistant captain of the team, joining senior forward Wade Megan and senior defenseman Ryan Ruikka as the team’s captains.

Noonan said he found out about his new position following the game against the University of New Hampshire on Dec. 6, but that BU coach Jack Parker did not tell the team until after the 1-0 win over the University of Maine on Dec. 8.

“[Being named assistant captain] felt pretty good,” Noonan said. “I’m pretty excited. It’s really a big honor and for coach to give me that opportunity, I have got to thank him and the staff and all of my teammates. I don’t think I would be anywhere without them.”

The Norfolk native has been a member of the team’s leadership council this season, which also consists of Megan, Ruikka, senior forward Ryan Santana, junior forward Sahir Gill and junior defenseman Patrick MacGregor.

“He’s been great as a member of our team’s leadership council and his leadership role in the dressing room continues to grow,” said BU coach Jack Parker in a team release. “It’s not only deserving, but appropriate, that we put an ‘A’ on his shirt.”

Noonan, who is the only junior among the team captains, has three goals and seven assists this season and scored the team’s only goal in its most recent win over the Black Bears.

Noonan will get his first chance to wear that ‘A’ at No. 10/11 University of Denver on Dec. 29 in the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game.

“I think we have the chance to do something pretty special here,” Noonan said. “We have a chance to get on a little bit of a roll here and it starts with Denver and we will be ready to play, I know that.”

1. Oh great a diving captain great to see that is what is rewarded in hockey nowadays….

2. Well deserved

3. Another Parker suckup.