From the FreeP: Terriers fall to BC, 5-2, to split weekend series

By Annie Maroon/DFP Staff

CHESTNUT HILL — The No. 9 Boston University men’s hockey team could not complete a weekend sweep of No. 1 Boston College, falling 5–2 to the Eagles at Conte Forum Saturday after winning 4–2 at Agganis Arena Friday.

BC (11–2–0, 10–2–0 Hockey East) outshot the Terriers (8–5–0, 6–4–0 Hockey East) 36–23 in a dominant win, the record-tying 924th of BC coach Jerry York’s career.

The Terriers’ penalty kill, which was the third best in Hockey East entering Saturday’s game, struggled mightily against the Eagles’ league-best power play. They allowed BC four power-play goals and 15 shots on eight opportunities. BU’s own power play went 2-for-6.

“We started it last night by taking a few stupid penalties at the end of the game, and we took some more tonight,” said BU coach Jack Parker. “That, in my mind, was the difference in the game.”

BC wing Johnny Gaudreau was called for high-sticking midway through the first period, but BC’s aggressive penalty kill harassed the Terriers and pinned them in their own zone for much of the ensuing power play. Shortly afterward, it appeared the Eagles’ hard work had paid off when Gaudreau flipped a puck into an empty net as BU freshman goalie Matt O’Connor could not get over in time.

For more, visit dailyfreepress.com.

1. nice dives

• funny that BU fans do nothing but criticize BC for diving when the terriers get so many embellishment calls.

• NCAA referees use the embellishment call as a cop-out to cover their asses, since it keeps calls even. It doesn’t mean they’re making the right calls. You’re a fool if you think NCAA refs are quality or consistent to use their calls as representations of what happens during games. Just because BC didn’t get called for diving, it doesn’t mean they weren’t doing so—it was very clear they were.

2. Is Gaudreau allowed to be hit or is that an automatic penalty?

Bunyon was BC’s best player tonight

3. Bunyon should seek other employment. When he is on the ice there is neve any flow to the game. He stinks!

4. Let me start off by saying BU has been guilty of diving this season…but the league has got to do something about Steven Whitney’s diving, he’s been doing it since his freshman year and it’s a shame because he’s too good of a player to be pulling crap like that…go back and watch the penalty on Cisse at the end of the first period on Saturday, embarrassing for Whitney and also for the referee who got fooled…having said that, BU deserved to lose, they have to STOP taking penalties while they’re on the PK