BU names Ruikka assistant captain, adds walk-on freshman Breed to roster

By Kevin Dillon/DFP Staff

Back in March, it was uncertain that senior defenseman Ryan Ruikka would even return to the Boston University men’s hockey team. The Chelsea, Mich. native had just finished a dual major bachelor’s degree in economics in mathematics, but he decided to come back to the University to work on a master’s degree in economics and play another year under BU coach Jack Parker for the hockey team.

Now, it is apparent that Ruikka will not only return to the team, but he will be one of the team’s leaders, as he was named assistant captain for the 2012-13 season on Thursday. The fifth-year senior will serve his position alongside senior captain Wade Megan, who was named BU’s captain back in April.

Ruikka only played in 29 games last season, as he was a healthy scratch for 10 of the team’s 39 games. In those 29 games, the defenseman notched five assists while having an even plus-minus rating.

BU also announced the final roster of the hockey team on Thursday, which includes only one surprise. Freshman forward Nick Breed made the team as a walk-on, becoming the team’s 16th forward.

Breed led Maine Class B hockey with 34 goals in his senior year with Cape Elizabeth High School and was named to the All-State team.

The 5-foot-11, 175-pound forward is the team’s 10th member of its freshman class, which makes up 38 percent of the team’s 26-man roster this year.