From the FreeP: BC tops BU in overtime thriller, takes third straight Beanpot

By Tim Healey/DFP Staff

Garrett Noonan, a Norfolk native who grew up watching the Beanpot Tournament, may have played the game of his life Monday night. With a pair of goals, the sophomore defenseman provided 100 percent of his team’s offense in 60th edition of the annual tournament.

“It feels alright,” Noonan said, his head hanging low and his eyes a bit watery. “It’s pretty good, but obviously I wish the result was different.”

“Obviously” may be an understatement. The sullen air Noonan carried about him would have been different if the No. 2 Boston University men’s hockey team came out on the other end. But instead, No. 3/4 Boston College came out on top in the 3-2 overtime win thanks to a goal from forward Bill Arnold with 6.4 seconds left in overtime.

“This has been the best college hockey game I’ve played in,” said sophomore defenseman Adam Clendening. “The meaning it is and the history it has, what was on the table for us tonight. We could have won 30 out of 60 [Beanpot tournaments]. That’s 50 percent, so that’s pretty impressive to do in a tournament. That was just the way it went. It was the best game I’ve played still, even if we came out on the wrong end.”

For more, visit dailyfreepress.com.

1. We would have won if Coyle stated or if that idiot Connolly hadn’t takened 10 minute misconduct.

2. Who were the players on the ice that gave up the winning goal with 6 seconds left? They should all be benched in the next game.

3. The T ride to BU was embarassing as some drunken girls wanted to pick fights we other T passengers. They should be expelled!

4. I’m a BC guy and I think BU played a very competitive game. You have a great Goalie in Millan but he didn’t get much help on odd man rushes. The OT game-winner wasn’t entirely his fault. He should never have been exposed by his Defense.

What’s missing is the obvious–snipers and the lack of puck control. The departure of key players disrupted any chemistry the team may have had but others need to step up.

Parker usually recruits the best kids from all over the world for a reason. It just seems some of these kids lack the drive. At times, they appeared lazy and even disinterested by giving up costly turn overs and falling prey to traps.

You have a hot Goalie. You need some scoring depth as well to go deep in the Tournament.

Good luck the rest of the way.

5. We need to cut down on penalties. When Trivino and Coyle departed, our margin of error diminished. We need to work harder for goals against good teams than earlier in the season so staying out of the box is critical. Millan is red hot so if we can cut down on penalties, I think other teams are going to have a tough time scoring against us. As disappointing as it was to lose in OT to BC, it was an outstanding game and provides a good example why a lot of people love college hockey.

6. I’m sure none of us liked the ending, but it was a great Beanpot Game. Stop trying to blame the BU players on the ice at the end of the game. BC made 2 terrifc passes and a perfect shot. BU played one hell of a game and BC just a bit better. Give BC credit and give the BU players and coaches credit for what they did on the ice.

7. Wish we lost in the first round so we didn’t have to lose to BC again.

8. What were Parker’s post game comments? Who did he throw under the bus this game?

9. I sure wish our high draft picks would stay in school as long as Kreider and Cross have.

10. To the BC guy. I agree with a lot of what you said. It was a great game. BU deserved a win, but BC deserved it more. BU – BC is what college hockey is about. I did not like the ending, but it was a terrific time at the Garden Monday night. The house was alive. Congratulations to BC and let’s hope we meet again at the end of the year.

To the Parker bashers. You are a bunch of idiots. Do you realize what Parker has done for BU hockey for more than 4 decades.

• Parker apologist are coming on to defend the over the hill coach? Or is he a BC fans who wants us to keep a failure as coach of our flagship program?

• I don’t think people are giving Parker enough credit for what he has done with this team this year. For BU to be battling for first place in the league and nation after losing Trivino, Coyle, and more recently Privitera is incredible. Had Megan not hit post in overtime and actually scored, would you all be saying the same things about this team? BC got lucky first on Monday. That’s how overtime works. This is not a bad or under-performing team.

• To Anonymous 10:16 AM

Over the hill coach? 2009 – 7 championships including a national title. Do you enjoy having 29 Beanpots? Did you enjoy beating BC at Fenway Park last year? Did you enjoy the Red Hot Hockey games at MSG? In fact, up until the last 6 seconds of Monday’s Beanpot final, please tell us that you enjoyed a phenominal college hockey game – played by both teams.

With player losses that would have devastated many programs, the “over-the-Hill Parker and his over-the-hill assistants have this team in the hunt for no. 1 in HE and nationally.

Take a look at the recruits who have committed to BU over the next couple of years. Look them up and see what the scouting reports on them are .

I hope the hell you are not a BU student or alumnus because you ARE an idiot.

11. Did Noonan really cry after the loss? He should be use to losing in the Beanpot by now.

12. What was Clendening talking about when he said “we almost won 30 out of 60”.

It would be nice if he could just win ONE for us.

13. I agree that parker has done a terrific job given the talent that he has this year. But wouldn’t you agree that he should take some responsibility for the early departures and disciplinary issues?

• 100% agree as far as disciplinary issues go. I don’t understand why he allowed the Trivino situation to get so far out of control and why, when Trivino had some alcohol-related incident last May, Parker chose not to really punish him. That doesn’t make sense to me.

• Parker thought he could win if he had Trivino last year. Parker knows he has no chance this year so he booted him to open up a schlorship. .

• Arielle, I think he needs to take some responsibility for the early departures also. The main reason BC won on Monday was because players like Cross, Kreider and Dumolin chose to stay for an extra year even though they may be ready for the pros. I think it’s because York creates a positive atmosphere.

• That’s a fair point. I personally think guys like Kreider and Dumoulin staying are rare exceptions. Cross has had all kinds of injuries, so he’s a little different than Kreider and Dumoulin in my opinion. There many players across the nation who leave school early in the hopes of making an NHL roster – this isn’t just a BU problem.
      I think the choice to stay says more about the individual than the school itself. Perhaps Parker recruits more players who care more about advancing their careers as fast as possible than York does. York may target players who are more loyal and interested in academics. However, if the BU players who left school early left because of the atmosphere, they wouldn’t be coming back every summer to work out at BU the way they do. I’m not convinced atmosphere is the reason behind players leaving early.

• Parker isn’t around in the summer so there’s no chance of running into him.

14. Do you seriously believe that? Freeing up a scholarship for next year that he would have had anyway? It had nothing to do with Trivino getting arrested and facing charges for assault to rape?

• John Sabo was facing felony assault charges yet Parker allowed him to stay on the team even though he know this since the start of the season.

• So Parker booted a guy to get his scholarship even though Parker isn’t using that scholarship for another player this semester and would have had the scholarship freed for next year anyway?

15. Has anyone on this team won a Beanpot?

16. WTF – I’ve never seen a Beanpot win as a BU student.

17. This season is over. At least I won’t be wasting more cash to watch this team.

18. As an alumnus, I thank the team for a great effort in the Beanpot. The team has shown great resilience in pulling together after the two losses of Coyle and Trivino. Yes, the margin of error is now extremely tight, but it has been a positive experience as a fan. If they learn to get 3rd period energy energy in the first period, and cut back on some penalties, no telling how far they can go.

19. Why is it that players play with pain but Privatera refuses to play unless he’s 100%.

He’s another prima Nona in the Warso mold.

• he has a broken wrist you MORON! what good is he if he can’t stickhandle or shoot the puck?! people need to start realizing this team is playing way over their heads…they barely have 2 scoring lines and it’s a miracle they are where they are in the standings…just be happy this team is showing heart that has been missing for years in my opinion!!

20. have you seen him he was wearing a cast!!! Unless it was removed today after his latest exam

21. To the idiot above me. He has been a cast for weeks. Everyone has seen it except apparently you!!!

Moron….