Millan sets BU all-time saves record in win

By Tim Healey/DFP Staff

ORONO, Maine – Last spring, after a second straight conference championship-less season for the Boston University men’s hockey team, Kieran Millan had a decision to make: leave school early to go pro with the Colorado Avalanche or stay at BU for his senior season.

On one side, he had a lot of money up for grabs, as well as a couple of teammates doing the same thing. Classmate David Warsofsky bolted to join the Boston Bruins organization, and then-senior captain Joe Pereira played for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the New York Islanders’ AHL affiliate, after the BU season ended. And with a seemingly open starting goalie spot in the pros, no one could blame Millan for taking his talents to Denver.

But on the other end, he had a chance to cement his legacy as one of the best – if not the best – goaltenders in BU hockey’s lengthy and decorated history.

The senior netminder chose the latter, and after the No. 11/12 Terriers’ 5-1 win over the University of Maine Saturday night at Alfond Arena, it more and more looks like Millan made the right decision: with the 30 saves he racked up against the Black Bears (6-7-2, 5-6-1 Hockey East), he passes Sean Fields as the all-time BU saves leader with 3,057.

Read more at dailyfreepress.com.