Eagles soar over Terriers in season series finale

By Arielle Aronson/DFP Staff

In the closing game of the No. 13 Boston University hockey team’s season series against No. 2/3 Boston College, the Eagles avoided a season sweep with a 6-1 drubbing of the Terriers Saturday night at Agganis Arena.

It was the Terriers’ first loss in their last six games, ending BU’s longest win streak since closing out its 2008-09 NCAA championship run.

Boston College scored first for the first time this season against BU. Senior goaltender Kieran Millan struggled to cover the puck on an initial shot 5:15 into the period from just in front of him, and the puck slid to his left, where freshman Danny Linell waited and slipped it past both Millan and junior defenseman Max Nicastro.

BU evened the score near the end of the period. Junior defenseman Ryan Ruikka released a slap shot from the point that went wide, but Corey Trivino found the rebound behind the net and his centering pass deflected off a BC skate and past goaltender Brian Billett.

The Eagles re-took the lead in the second period when senior Tommy Cross carried the puck into the offensive zone and lifted a backhander up over Millan to give BC a 2-1 lead.

BU ramped up the offense as the period continued but struggled to find the back of the net. With just over six minutes remaining in the period, the Terriers lost control of the puck and lost track of BC junior Chris Kreider, who charged into the BU zone largely unchallenged and fired a wrister off the left post and past Millan to give BC a 3-1 lead.

The Eagles extended their lead to 4-1 just over two minutes later, when freshman Johnny Gaudreau jumped on a juicy rebound off a Brian Dumoulin shot and buried it with 4:05 remaining in the frame.

With less than two minutes remaining in the second period, the Eagles caught the Terriers in the middle of a change and sent sophomore Bill Arnold into the BU zone with just one Terrier on the play. Arnold took his time winding up on a slapper and fired it past Millan to give the Eagles a commanding 5-1 lead going into the second intermission.

In the third period, the Terriers replaced Millan in net with senior goaltender Grant Rollheiser. BU failed to score on 15 seconds of a 5-on-3 and BC successfully killed off the remaining 1:45 of a penalty. Shortly after, freshman Evan Rodrigues carried that puck into the offensive zone but had it poked away from him, and BC took it the other way on a 3-on-1. Senior Paul Carey cashed in on the advantage with a wrister from the right circle that beat Rollheiser blocker-side.