From the FreeP: Notebook: Future bright for Red Hot Hockey

By Tim Healey/DFP Staff

Saturday’s showdown at Madison Square Garden – a 2-1 overtime win for the No. 13 Boston University men’s hockey team over No. 17 Cornell University – was a resounding success, but not just on the ice.

For the third time in as many attempts, Red Hot Hockey sold out the historic, 18,200-seat arena. The first two editions – a 6-3 BU win in 2007 and a 3-3 tie in 2009 – were also played in front of sold-out crowds.

There are no solidified plans to continue the tradition, but given the huge commercial success of the event, BU coach Jack Parker had a good idea of what he thought the future held.

For more, visit dailyfreepress.com.

1. Was the game REALLY sold out?
    There were numerous empty seats in the most expensive seats directly across the ice from the benches. Kind of like at Yankee Stadium, where the most expensive box seats go unsold even though the rest of the stadium is packed.
    It was a huge crowd, but I doubt it was “sold out.”
    They always say the same thing about the Beanpot, that doesn’t always sell out, either. There have been noticeable gaps, especially in the Harvard and Northeastern student sections, even when they are playing.

Does it mean that much to marketing to say that the game is sold out?
    What would be so bad about announcing a crowd of 18,050 if that is what the gate is, instead of declaring a “sold out crowd of 18,200” when you can see empty premium seats?