Terriers destroyed by River Hawks, 7-1

By Tim Healey/DFP Staff

LOWELL — Saturday night at the Tsongas Center, it looked like the No. 12 Boston University men’s hockey team was finally going to come out on its collective toes.

After a goal 16 seconds into the game – a tip-in by senior forward Corey Trivino – the Terriers (3-3-1, 2-2-1 Hockey East) completely disappeared, falling to the University of Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks by a score of 7-1.

Shortly after winning the initial faceoff, sophomore defenseman Adam Clendening’s shot just tipped in by Trivino for a quick 1-0 BU lead over the River Hawks (3-3-0, 1-2-0 Hockey East).

Then UML took over.

The BU lead did not last long, with River Hawk forward Joseph Pendenza sending a wrister on a centering pass right by senior goaltender Kieran Millan to knot the game at one 5:43 into the first.

With the Terriers back on their heels, UMass-Lowell took the lead just 55 seconds seconds later at 6:38 on a rebound by forward Derek Arnold. Millan dove to his left to stop the initial shot, but couldn’t quite reach Arnold’s one-timer to his right.

Neither team scored again for the rest of the period, but thanks to a couple BU penalties and a general lack of effort, the River Hawks collected 15 shots on goal to the Terriers’ three.

As bad as the first period was for the Terriers, the second was even worse. UMass-Lowell netted four more goals – and had another waved off – en route to blowing the game open.

UML got it going early, with forward Scott Wilson’s tally extending the lead to 3-1.

Eleven short seconds later, UML scored another. River Hawk defenseman Daniel Furlong barely got off a weak shot as he fell down, but Millan, seemingly unaware of his surroundings, let it go by for the 4-1 BU deficit at 1:43.

Relative to the rest of the game, UMass-Lowell then endured a drought for most of the second, with a potential fifth goal waved off without a review. The River Hawks resumed their offensive onslaught at 15:17 when forward Terrence Wallin found the back of the net at 15:47 for the 5-1 lead.

As the period wound down, sophomore forward Sahir Gill – who has drawn praise from BU coach Jack Parker of late – took a slashing penalty, opening the door once again for the River Hawks. BU looked like it would was going to hang on for the rest of the period, but at 19:52.5, UML forward David Vallorani snuck another by Millan to make it 6-1.

That would essentially end the netminder’s night, as he would be relieved by senior goaltender Grant Rollheiser to start the third.

The backup didn’t fare much better, allowing Arnold’s second goal of the game just 3:56 into the final stanza to make it 7-1.

With the extra point in the bag, the River Hawks apparently took it easy the rest of the way, finishing with a total of 40 shots on goal, more than doubling up BU’s 19, in the 7-1 final.

1. This was an unbelievably embarrassing game. Someone on this team needs to step up and get it in line, because obviously Parker, Connolly, and Trivino have no idea what they are doing. I don’t know if it is the egos on the team, a lack of cohesiveness, or just plain not giving a s***, but this two-faced hockey team is embarrassing itself and the glory of BU hockey. I don’t know why Parker can’t control the team anymore, but he needs to step his game up, or he’s out. 3 years of not making the NCAA tourney in a 59 team league? Pathetic for the school’s tradition and for him as a coach. Step it up Terriers. I’m going to the game at BC next weekend, and you better f***ing show up.

2. I don’t think I nor anyone else could sum up the feelings about this team better than that.

3. DISGRACEFUL !!!

4. It sounds like the players are pissed that Parker wouldn’t let them play at Fenway and just sent him a message about who is really in charge of this team.

HINT: it’s not Parker!

5. After seeing Clendening (NOT) play defense, I wish we had the human pylon Warso back.

6. I miss the days when games against teams like Lowell and Holy Cross were a given.

I wasn’t at the game last night, so I don’t know the exact circumstances, but a top level goaltender can never be described like this:

“but Millan, seemingly unaware of his surroundings, let it go by for the 4-1 BU deficit at 1:43.”

I’m not saying last night was his fault… but I’ve seen a lot of pucks go by him throughout his time at BU that were entirely his fault.

He’s an experienced college goalie, but that’s it. Certainly not elite. He makes spectacular saves, but an elite goalie shouldn’t have to make them, because he’s already in position (and on the RARE occasion that he needs to make a miraculous save, he does).

But this team is frustrating. I’d like them to reimburse me for my season tickets. I feel cheated.

7. I am with Ed. Milan is a poser – the fact that he has the all time record for wins galls me. he played as a freshman on an unbelievable team where got many of his wins. we need him to step up as a senior and he has not done that

do you think that stooge of an AD, Lynch, has any clue about the glory of BU hockey? he is parker’s yes man and parker is there until the day HE decides to retire

but hold on? who will be his hand picked successor? i shudder to think that it will come from his present staff and if you think it is bad now, just wait. there will be no Quinn or Sullivan to get them out of this mire