COLUMN: End of the road has come for Parker

By Teddy Mazurek/DFP Columnist

Any sports fan can attest to the fact that following a specific team is full of highs and lows. The same is certainly true for those who follow the Boston University men’s hockey team.

In 2009, I witnessed firsthand the greatest sports moment of my life. I can still remember as if it were yesterday – the final minutes of the third period against Miami University in the NCAA Championship game. Trailing 3-1, the blank stares and teary eyes of those students who made the trip to Washington D.C. said it all.

But then Zach Cohen scored with 59.5 seconds remaining giving the Dog Pound a glimpse of hope.

Then it happened.

Read more at dailyfreepress.com

1. It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

– Teddy Roosevelt

2. Has the author ever laced a pair of skates and played hockey? At any level?
    What experiences does he have playing on any sports teams? Or coaching any sports teams?
    He is entitled to his opinion. But what are his credentials to call for a man to be removed from his position?
    Is he just another fanboy in the stands that expects BU to win every game? Is he frustrated because BC has been more successful lately, and being No. 2 in Hockey East if BC is No. 1 isn’t good enough?
    Did he talk to any of the current players? Or recent former players? How do they feel about their coach?
    Did he talk to any NHL scouts or executives? Do they still think BU is a top destination for their prospective players?
    A columnist is only as good as the credibility that they have earned. This columnist did nothing to add to his own credibility with a piece of sophomoric journalism.

3. I take it that this student columnist is not someone that covers the team on a regular basis. Just someone that is a fan in the stands. So what makes his opinion worth anything?
    Has he ever spoken to Parker, attended practices, post-game press conferences, asked any questions?
    Columnists do that, even if they don’t regularly cover teams.
    I think Teddy Mazurek should take off his BU hockey jersey, dress like an adult, get a press credential for the next game and show up at the press conference and ask some questions. If he can’t do that, he doesn’t have the chops to ever become a real columnist.