Anthony DeAngelo to join Sarnia Sting, decommit from BU

By Arielle Aronson/DFP Staff

Highly-touted 2014 recruit Anthony DeAngelo, a 15-year-old defenseman out of Sewell, New Jersey, has decided to forgo his college hockey career in order to play Canadian Major Juniors, according to a report from an Eastern Iowa news source. In typical teenaged fashion, DeAngelo reportedly confirmed his choice via Facebook.

DeAngelo most recently played for Cedar Rapids of the United States Hockey League. At 14 years old, he was the youngest player to take the ice in USHL history and recorded 15 points (1 goal, 14 assists) in 28 games played with the RoughRiders before a broken knee-cap ended his season.

DeAngelo will join the Sarnia Sting of the Ontario Hockey League after the Sting drafted him in the second round with the 26th overall pick of the 2011 OHL draft. Players earn a small salary in Canadian Major Junior hockey, thus making DeAngelo ineligible to play NCAA hockey.

1. This is awful news for BU hockey 🙁

2. Geez, its just a young kid coming in a few years…find another…he ain’t Bobby Orr. At that age who knows if he would even be a top college prospect by the time he would have gotten here…it’s not that big a deal at all.

3. I agree, awful for BU??? you’re kidding right?. This is some 14 year old that still has to learn to play the game. He will be forgotten at BU before the end of June. **** happens, there will be many other prospects to choose from.

4. Boo Freakin’ Hoo.

5. I think it is ironic that a kid who has already suffered a serious injury (broken kneecap) is foregoing college to play major junior. You’d think an injury like that would convince him that having a viable backup plan to playing pro hockey would be an awfully good idea.

6. For every year played in the CHL the player gets one year of college paid for. So his education is not in jeopardy by going the Canadian major junior route.

7. You people are probably right BU won’t care in a few years. But I’ve seen this kid play and as the scouts said if he keeps developing he’ll be in the NHL at 18 or 19 yrs old God Bless him and Good Luck Anthony!

8. this kid is soft.

9. Earning an education isn’t top of mind in this family…. Evident if you speak to any of them..

10. Really??? If u knew him, I don’t think u would make the above comment. Easy to bash someone on this forum. Bet u got a degree in anonymity. Jealousy is always quite unattractive but especially when viewed in print.

11. WOW – Green-eyed monster in the house!

12. WOW – don’t know the family but am appalled by this type of comment. Reeks of a green-eyed monster!