Chris Higgins, Joe Pereira sign with Swedish hockey team

By Arielle Aronson/DFP Staff

Former Terriers Chris Higgins and Joe Pereira will reunite next season while playing for Tingsryds AIF, a Swedish hockey team in the Hockey Allsvenskan league, the second-highest level league in Sweden.

Higgins, who graduated from Boston University in 2009, is making his second trip abroad. Higgins played for SV Renon for the 2010-11 season, totaling 20 points (9 goals, 11 assists) in 21 games played before returning to the United States for a stint with the Las Vegas Wranglers. Tingsryds AIF will be the fifth team Higgins has played for in his professional career. Higgins has 52 points (25 goals, 27 assists) in 69 professional games.

This will be Pereira’s third team of his professional career. Pereira joined the Worcester Sharks for one game after BU’s season ended, and then he signed with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers for the remainder of the AHL season. Pereira has 5 points (2 goals, 3 assists) in 11 professional games. Although Pereira was playing well in Bridgeport, he spoke with multiple American Hockey League teams after the season and decided that Europe provided the best opportunities for him to play.

Both Higgins and Pereira were key players during their time at BU. Higgins helped BU to its national championship victory in 2008-09 and enjoyed his best season in the scarlet and white that year, totaling 48 points (14 goals, 34 assists) in 42 games while playing on the top line alongside Jason Lawrence and Colin Wilson. Higgins finished his BU career with 133 points (49 goals, 84 assists) in 159 games.

Pereira served as a co-captain alongside Chris Connolly in his senior season at BU. Like Higgins, Pereira’s best season was his final one, as his 15 goals surpassed his goal total of 12 from his previous three years combined. Pereira is also a two-time Bennett McInnis Award for Spirit and Albert Sidd Unsung Hero award winner for the Terriers. He will graduate from Metropolitan College with a degree in Management Studies later this month.