UMass-Lowell introduces Norm Bazin as new head coach

By Scott McLaughlin/DFP Staff

The University of Massachusetts-Lowell introduced Norm Bazin as its new hockey coach Thursday afternoon. Bazin, a 1994 UML graduate, replaces Blaise MacDonald, who was fired after 10 seasons at the helm.

Bazin registered 32 goals and 36 assists for 68 points in four seasons as a River Hawk forward. He began his coaching career as an assistant at his alma mater in 1996. Four years later, Bazin moved on to Colorado College, where he served as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator for eight seasons. He landed his first head coaching gig with Division-III Hamilton College in 2008. He compiled a 38-31-7 record with the Continentals and was named the NESCAC coach of the year each of the last two seasons.

“I actually didn’t subscribe to the theory that just because you’re an alum, it means you’re going to be a better hockey coach,” UML chancellor Marty Meehan said. “I felt strongly, and this is the way it was implemented, that we wanted to get the best coach we could get. And all things being equal, we would take an alum.

“Well, all things weren’t equal. We had great candidates, but when Norm came, he was outstanding. Somebody said he blew everyone away with his presentation. He was prepared. He was fabulous.”

Bazin said he has been impressed with the school’s increased devotion to the hockey program in recent years and that he is excited to take over as coach.

“I love the challenges,” Bazin said. “When I met with Marty, I certainly felt the passion in his voice in challenging anyone he met with to love the university as much as he does. I think I got my point across that day that I was with him. I’m as passionate about winning and as passionate about this school as Marty is.”

To read the school’s press release, click here.