From the Freep: The worthiest cause

By Arielle Aronson/DFP Staff

Some of the Boston University men’s hockey team may be sporting a new hair-do this summer.

Sophomore forwards Ross Gaudet, Wade Megan and Ryan Santana as well as former junior assistant captain Dave Warsofsky all plan to shave their heads at Gillette Stadium on June 5 in an effort to raise money for children and families fighting pediatric cancer.

The event, called the Kid’s Cancer Buzz-Off, is being run by One Mission, a childhood cancer foundation started by the parents of
former Children’s Hospital Boston patient Nicholas Haseotes. Nicholas was diagnosed at seven months old with AML, a form of leukemia, and spent six months undergoing treatment at Children’s. According to a biography on the One Mission website, Nicholas is currently cancer-free.

In early March, flyers about the Kid’s Cancer Buzz-Off were distributed at Agganis Arena, and Megan took one back to his room. He came across the flyer one day while preparing for practice and decided to start a fundraising page in his name on the organization’s website. Megan set his original goal for $250 before leaving for practice.

“I just had it in my room and saw it lying around, so I signed up before I came to the rink,” Megan said. “It’s just for a good cause, for kids with cancer, so I decided to get it started.”

Read more at dailyfreepress.com.