David Warsofsky discusses his decision to leave and his season

By Scott McLaughlin/DFP Staff

I just got done with a quick phone interview with David Warsofsky. I wanted to ask him about his decision to forgo his senior year and sign with the Bruins, and also get his thoughts on this past season. Here’s what he had to say.

What went into the decision to leave?
I sat down with Coach Parker and other coaches, I sat down with my family, and I just think we all decided that me coming to Boston and not going back for my senior year was the best decision for me and the rest of my hockey career.

Parker said he thought you needed to be challenged. Do you agree with that?
I don’t know if that was the main idea. Obviously as a player, you want to be challenged to play better and compete at the highest level you possibly can. For me, I obviously have dreams to play professional hockey. That’s a challenge for me every day. Looking at it, I think every day’s a challenge for me here. I’m just looking forward to the challenge of hopefully making the Bruins some day.

Parker also said you didn’t quite meet his expectations this season. Can you evaluate your season?
I thought I played well at times. I obviously didn’t have the year I had hoped for. I had some injuries that were kind of nagging me, but as a player, you have to take the good with the bad. There were ups and downs for the season. I think that happened with everyone on our team. Overall, it was a fun year. I had a lot of fun at BU. I’m thankful that I went there for the three years that I did.

What accounted for your personal ups and downs? Was it mostly injury or was it something else?
As a player, you never like to play with something like an injury. But I think that was how the season went for everybody. It was an up-and-down season for the whole program, not just me in particular. I don’t think you can really make excuses for anything like that.

Then what accounted for the team’s ups and downs?
I don’t know. There are a lot of things you could say it might be. At the end of the year, you can’t point the finger. For BU, you hope to make it to the national championship every year. When you don’t do that, I think you want to point fingers, but it’s not the right thing to do. That’s not the right thing to do for a team. I think it’s just something everyone takes responsibility for.