From the FreeP: Women’s hockey falls in first national championship

By Annie Maroon/DFP Staff

ERIE, Pa. — The Boston University women’s hockey team hasn’t had much experience this year with being completely stifled, shut down defensively at every turn and forced to battle through several opposing players for every shot.

But in a 4-1 loss to No. 1 University of Wisconsin in the NCAA championship game, the Terriers were simply overpowered as the Badgers claimed their fourth national championship in program history. Despite being outshot 36-16, BU (27-7-4) only trailed by one goal for the majority of the game. Freshman goalie Kerrin Sperry made some game-saving stops among her 32 saves, and the forwards and defensemen in front of her combined to block 23 more shots.

Read more at dailyfreepress.com.

1. How did BU get suck with that bum Chris Connolly when we should have gone after his much more talented brother Jack Connolly (16-39-55)?

Instead, we are stuck with a 24 year old junior who has no ambition to graduate into the real world.

2. Thank you for that relevant and informative comment, Anonymous.

3. Terrier Fan Class of 1996

Stay classy, Anonymous.

Jack Connolly committed to his hometown team of Minn-Duluth in March 2007. Chris, a late-bloomer, didn’t appear on any D-1 teams’ radar until Fall 2007. At that point much of BU’s recruiting for the 2008-09 season was done, but they had one scholarship available for a forward and offered it to someone whom the coaching staff thought would bring skill, consistency and maturity to the program.

Instead of pining about the younger Connolly, whose priority was to stay at (or close to) home by playing in the WCHA, appreciate that Chris has been a reliable, consistent, valuable player for BU the past 3 years. 30, 31 and 28 points the past 3 seasons in 45, 36 and 34 games, respectively — plus that he’s one of the few BU players that consistently gives it 100%+ each game — is the type of player whom most coaches would love to have at his program.

4. I’ll take Chris Connolly on my team anytime. He plays smart, clean, heads up hockey. He is one of the fastest skaters in the college game, always hustling, a great penalty killer with solid offensive skills.
    Anyone that wouldn’t want Chris Connolly on their college hockey team knows NOTHING about hockey.
    N-O-T-H-I-N-G!