BU season in dire straits after Game 1 loss

By Sam Dykstra/DFP Staff

A handful of the white-and-scarlet-clad Terriers remained on the ice for a few fleeting moments after the customary handshake line, each other hunched over in dismay or with their hands held disappointingly on top of their heads. If the 4-2 numbers above their head weren’t reminder enough about the night’s outcome, the gleeful notes of the few remaining bars of the Northeastern University fight song played by the visiting pep band truly drove it home.

No. 13 Boston University had just dropped the first game of its three-game series with its cross-town rival and will be in do-or-die mode for the rest of its season, however long that may be.

“I think it’ll set in when guys go back to their rooms and kind of think about the game a little bit,” said junior captain Chris Connolly. “Reality sets in. This very well could be [BU’s last game].”

Prior to the loss, BU had been ranked in a tie for 16th in the PairWise Rankings, a system believed to mirror the very one used by the selection committee when it picks which 16 teams will participate in the NCAA tournament, meaning that the Terriers would have been the last team out had the season ended at 6:59 Thursday night.

But after dropping its second straight decision to the Huskies, BU now finds itself tied for 18th and needing to somehow jump three bubble teams – including University of Maine, who has overtaken BU’s spot as the first bubble team on the outside looking in – if it were to make its way to the national tourney.

BU coach Jack Parker acknowledged after the loss that both he and his team had realized well before Thursday’s puck drop that they would still need to do plenty more resume building if they were to take one of the final at-large bids but was reluctant to say that they kept an eye on the national picture in the first place.

“We knew we probably weren’t going to get anywhere unless we win Hockey East,” Parker said. “Certainly we have to get to the Garden and maybe make the final game. That’s the last thing on my mind. I think we were ready to play, I don’t think it was that. We weren’t thinking about anything except Hockey East.”

So with Thursday’s loss almost assuring that the Terriers would have to capture the conference title to advance its season to the sport’s biggest stage, that means every game from here on in (Friday and potentially Sunday’s quarterfinals games, the Hockey East semis and finals, the NCAA tournament) would have to result in a win for BU to earn a chance at another game and another shot – however long it may be at this point – at is sixth national title.

That sets up Friday’s rematch to be inarguably the Terriers’ biggest game of the year. A win means they get to stay home for Sunday’s Game 3 at Agganis Arena. Another loss and they are forced to go home empty-handed with no more games left on the docket.

It’s because of that backs-against-the-wall situation that Parker has stressed his team cannot take Friday’s game or any other game in 2011 lightly.

“If they think this was just another game, they would have to be from Mars, wouldn’t they?” Parker said. “How could you think this was just another game?”

His captain seems to understand the conundrum both he and his teammates find themselves in and hopes that it will only bring out the best in them when they need it the most.

“At the same time, desperation isn’t a bad feeling to have because you have nothing to lose,” Connolly said. “I think the guys are going to come and lay it all on the line, have no regrets. I think the guys will be ready to go, 7:00 tomorrow.”

1. Not even the bias refs which gave BU power play after power play in the 3rd period could win the game for the pathetic Terriers.

2. They missed Noonan.

3. The word the above commenter made should be biased – not bias. They likely don’t teach English in Co-op programs. NU is a scrappy team and fights hard for 60 minutes. They are also filthy and could have been called for many other penalties in the 3rd. Let’s stop with BU gets all the calls stuff. The Terrier staff complains so much to the refs I don’t think it buys them anything.

4. Warso played…BU lost.

No one is surprised.

5. The reason that BU got so many power plays is that Northeastern’s game is playing hard and filthy.
    Second straight game that the Huskies have scored a crucial goal on an illegal pick that the referees didn’t see.
    The Huskies have been extremely fortunate with the non-calls.