Report: Danny O’Regan will follow father’s path and play for BU

By Scott McLaughlin/DFP Staff

The Terriers have landed St. Sebastian’s junior forward Danny O’Regan for the fall of 2013, according to U.S. Hockey Report. O’Regan’s father, Tom, played at BU from 1979-1983 and served as a co-captain his senior season before joining the Pittsburgh Penguins organization.

Danny O’Regan, a 5-foot-9 Needham native, has 23 goals and 23 assists in 25 games this season as the top center at St. Sebastian’s. He made his final choice between BU and Harvard, where his older brother Tommy will be a freshman this fall, USHR reports. Yale, Dartmouth and Northeastern were also in the running earlier in the process.

USHR describes O’Regan as a “small, skilled playmaker” and “an excellent puck distributor.”

“His strengths are his vision, playmaking ability, and hockey sense,” St. Sebastian’s coach Sean McCann told the site. “He understands and does things so well down low because he has that ability to separate himself from the D to create offensive opportunities for himself and linemates.

“He’s also a very competitive, internally-driven kid. He works hard in the weight room. He never stops challenging himself.”

O’Regan becomes the fourth member of what’s shaping up to be a very strong 2013 freshman class for BU. The Terriers already have verbal commitments from Indiana Ice (USHL) forward Adam Erne, Malden Catholic forward Brendan Collier and U.S. National Team Development Program defenseman Matt Grzelcyk.

O’Regan and St. Sebastian’s play their final regular-season game Saturday at noon at Walter Brown Arena against Thayer Academy and coach Tony Amonte.

1. Didn’t look like a D-1 recruit in the first round of the playoffs vs Bel Hill. He is too small and is not quick enough. Can you say another bust from the ISL?

2. Someone goes to Belmont Hill…None of them looked good in their game On Saturday…

3. Definitely not a bust, O’Regan has consistently dominated his ISL opponents this year. His stats don’t show his talent, as he sets up nearly every goal for the Arrows.

4. O’Regan is a good player, not very flashy but very smart. He plays very well with kids on his team such as Tommy Kelley, Joe Prescott, and Brendan Burke. Look for big things to come out of the Arrows next season.

5. Someone goes to Sebs…TK

6. Saint Sebastians has produced Mike Grier … then they have produced everyone else. Grier should be considered as good a player who ever came out of St Sebastians.