Terriers finish last in Beanpot for first time in 31 years

By Scott McLaughlin/DFP Staff

Two late goals from Harvard gave No. 15 Boston University a 5-4 loss and its first fourth-place finish in the Beanpot since 1980. It was just the second time a Jack Parker-coached team has finished last in the annual tournament.

The Terriers opened the scoring 5:42 into the first with a power-play goal. Corey Trivino fed Alex Chiasson in the slot for a one-timer that was stopped by Ryan Carroll, but Chiasson eventually found his own rebound in the ensuing scrum and slid it home for his 11th of the season.

The Crimson had chances to tie the game with three late power plays in the period, but they struggled to even get set up against the BU penalty kill.

The frustration boiled over in the waning seconds of the period when Daniel Moriarty leveled Joe Pereira from behind. On the penalty kill, Pereira collected a loose puck and skated toward the corner to run off the final couple seconds. Moriarty lined him up and nailed him directly in the six on the back of Pereira’s jersey.

Pereira was slow to get up and needed help getting back to the bench, but he returned in the second period. The injury was the second Pereira had to deal with. He was questionable leading up to the game after twisting his ankle Friday night against the University of Massachusetts.

The Terriers couldn’t take advantage of the five-minute power play, though. Not only that, but Harvard was able to tie it up while shorthanded. A little more than four minutes into the second, Alex Fallstrom rushed down the right wing and centered for Alex Killorn, who beaten two Terriers to the front and was able to bury a one-timer.

The Crimson struck twice more in the next 1:13. First, Ryan Grimshaw took a pass in the high slot and beat Kieran Millan with a seemingly harmless wrister. Just 19 seconds later, Killorn flung a puck to the front from the left corner that banked off Millan and in.

BU answered with two quick goals of its own later in the period. With 7:36 to go in the middle frame, Garrett Noonan set up at the left doorstep on the power play and banged home a pretty pass from Charlie Coyle for his fourth goal of the season and third in the last four games.

Just 43 seconds later, Noonan jumped into the play again. This time he held the puck in the right circle before sending a pass cross-box to Adam Clendening, who had an open net to shoot at and didn’t miss. The goal was Clendening’s third.

Chiasson gave a 4-3 lead 14:05 into the third with his second of the game and BU’s third power-play tally of the night. David Warsofsky held at the right point before throwing a wrister on net that Chiasson tipped past Carroll.

The lead was short-lived, though. Danny Biega sent a shot through heavy traffic and past everyone from the right point to tie the game up with 4:03 to go. Two minutes later, Michael Del Mauro flipped a rebound into an empty net for what proved to be the game-winner.

1. Did anyone ask Parker why Rollheiser didn’t get the start here?
    I know it potentially has some bearing the rankings for NCAA Tournament considerations. But the consolation game of the Beanpot seemed a good opportunity to get Rollheiser a game. Unless he is carrying an injury? Or have they lost confidence in him?
    I doubt if he will see any action the rest of the way if he could have started this game.
    Millan has been on a hot streak lately, but they can’t put EVERYTHING on his shoulders.
    Heck, even Kraus got a start in the consolation game a couple of years ago.
    Rollheiser would have been on since it was a rare shot, and the team might have buckled down more in front of him.

2. Last place. Thanks Parker.

3. Rollheiser would have beaten Harvard.

4. This comment has been removed by the author.

5. I don’t know about that for sure but Millan did not play well yesterday. He gave up 2 or 3 soft goals for sure. No one on the team really played that well though. It will be interesting to see if Rollie gets a start Friday.