From the FreeP: BU goes down in OT, loses fourth straight to BC

By Sam Dykstra/DFP Staff

First, it was a game played on the city’s biggest stage. Second, it was a game played between college hockey’s two fiercest rivals. Third and most importantly, it was a Beanpot game.

And it didn’t disappoint.

In a game that had to go to extra frames after three periods’ action that was so back and forth it was reminiscent of the Green Line that connects the two college campuses, No. 1 Boston College nipped No. 14 Boston University in overtime on a power-play goal by defenseman Tommy Cross.

Read more at dailyfreepress.com.

1. If it weren’t for the horrible non-goal call, we wouldn’t even have the moral victory of taking BC in to OT.

2. This season is now officially over.

3. Who will get the boot from the team as a result of losing to BC in the Beanpot?

My money is on Nicastro.

4. Do people plan on changing their vote on who they think will win the Beanpot this year?

5. Warso with another terrible game as he tips in at least one of the three BC goals.

Warso, please leave BU ASAP!

6. Is Clendening a BC plant?

The GWG went off his leg! Way to go Clendening! BU Nation spits on you!

7. Can we please change the survey question? It is making us look stupid!

8. Watching Rick DiPietro go down after ONE punch was like watch BC take up down last night.

PATHETIC!

9. Having Glass play last night would have helped immensely in containing BC’s speed.

Instead, we get bums like Courtnall stumble and stagger while ALWAYS behind the play.

10. Why would anyone feel encouraged by a loss to BC (per the new poll)?

A loss is a loss.

A real fan would only be encouraged by a WIN!

11. Fifth straight??? Last year’s Beanpot championship, and four straight this year??? Hello!

12. Hey, what happened to the old poll? It still had 7 days to go before it expired.

13. Anyone planning on wasting their time at the last place Beanpot game next week?

14. i feel like channeling Celtics-era Rick Pitino…

“Matt Gilroy is not walking through that door, fans. Colin Wilson is not walking through that door, and Brian Strait is not walking through that door. And if you expect them to walk through that door, they’re going to be gray and old. What they are is young, exciting, hard-working, and they’re going to improve. People don’t realize that, and as soon as they realize those three guys are not coming through that door, the better this town will be for all of us because there are young guys in that (locker) room playing their asses off. All the negativity that’s in this comments section sucks. I’ve been around when Brett Bennett was booed. I’ve been around when Gillespie was booed. And it stinks. It makes the greatest school, greatest hockey team lousy. The only thing that will turn this around is being upbeat and positive like they are in that locker room… and if you think they’re going to succumb to negativity, you’re wrong.”

15. Glass and his buddies need to stop commenting and acting like everything thing that goes wrong the rest of the way is because he got booted off the team for being an idiot. He wouldn’t have made a difference if he even dressed at all which is doubtful. Courtnall played a great game last night. If you watched, there was one point where the 4th line kept possession in BC’s zone for close to a minute and got the crowd all charged up. You can’t blame guys for tips off their sticks and legs. That is just bad breaks.

I don’t think Warso or Clendening played great last night by any means but they didn’t cost us the game. It was a fairly even game and there was some good things for this very young team to take from this. Obviously a loss is still a loss and it stings. The season isn’t over now by any means. This team sits in a t3 in HE and t15 in pairwise while having the easiest remaining schedule remaining out of all the teams in HE. I expect a big effort out of them this weekend to get a couple wins over UMASS and Harvard.

16. Parker and his cronies need to stop commenting and acting like everything that goes right the rest of the way is because Glass got booted off the team for studying for a final instead of going to an OPTIONAL workout.

17. Wow, Parker’s complete and total failure this year is being blamed on Glass?

Parker and his suck ups have really hit rock bottom!

18. Ricky DiPietro has a GLASS jaw just like Warso does.

19. Is a win against Harvard in a consolation game no one cares about really a win that counts when there’s no one there to see it?

By the way, a “win” against crappy Harvard won’t help the PWR. You might want to study up a little.

20. My thoughts an observations… I am a long time FAN..Alum..and someone who has played the game competitively his whole life..

I have to disagree re Warso as much as I love him as a player and a person. He has more often then not in my opnion not been himself. I dont see the same speed, ease of movement etc that he normally has had in the past. I have to wonder if there is some possible injury issue there. I think he had a really bad game last night, excluding that one nice defensive play on the 2 on 1. He gave up the puck numerous times, was terrible on the PP and just looked lost at times. I think the game was incredible…great energy in the building..and yes there were 3 “deflection” goals, but to my GREAT chagrin at the end of the day they were beaten by a better team. They stood toe to toe with them but you sat there with the feeling the whole time of “ok when does BC break it open”? They didnt which is great! I am not really a “moral victory” guy but I do believe this was another significant step in the development of a VERY young and talented team. Power play was horrific, it just seems that they are looking for perfection, and they dont shoot enough I would even take Colby at this point! Noonan is a hell of a player, the only D-man that really pushed the puck, he is strong, great in his own zone, sees the ice really well. Love the third line!! great energy!! and good skill! Nice to see Meagan coming into his own a little… Millan was great and as long as he keeps this up and the team uses this game as a stepping stone forward I think good things will come.. I do wish Joe P could have gone out a Beanpot winner…..

21. The sad thing is the Hockey East referees gave us a gift by calling off a BC goal and 2 consecutive power plays at the end of regulation and we still couldn’t win.

If it weren’t for the Hockey East referees, we would easily have last by 3+ goals.

22. If the game last night had ECAC referees, could we have held BC to less than 7 goals?

23. Charlie Coyle might be the worse faceoff person I’ve ever seen at BU.

This guy is so overrated that I know he will stay 4 years at BU.

24. Complete and total failure? You mean a young team that has a decent chance to make the ncaa tournament where anything can happen? As for the officiating…those two calls on BC were blatant. I never saw the replay on the no-goal but there was a quick whistle there which was a mistake but you can’t assume its a goal if the whistle isn’t blown since most guys stop playing at the whistle. BC doesn’t score 7 goals no matter who the refs are.

The game against Harvard wont help anything but the record. I never said otherwise. You should actually read the other posts before refuting them. Also when this team took 3 out of 4 against Maine last weekend, Glass wasn’t even mentioned…

25. How can BU considered a young team with so many 20 year old freshman?

The excuses for Parker’s incompetence continue to come from the suck ups!

26. Whatever happened to that fat, hairy guy who use to take off his shirt at the Beanpot?

Someone said he got laid off and couldn’t afford to come to the Beanpot this year.

27. Because they are freshman who are playing against 22 year old juniors and also Clendening, Coyle, Gil,Nieto, and Cisse are all 18 turning 19 so you should probably get your facts straight. The action these guys face in juniors doesn’t compare with NCAA D-1 hockey especially in Hockey East.

28. How many games has Cisse played this year?

LOL at the Parker suck ups who can’t even get the “facts” right.

29. Whatever happened to that guy who use to wear a BU jersey that said “Cookiepuss”? He always sat next to some fat girl with a BU jersey too.

30. He is still a part of the freshman class and just adds to the point that five out of the eight freshman are 18 or just turning 19 years old. It just proves your previous comment wrong so you decided to jump on the fact that Cisse is hurt? Like yes he is hurt. Just because I proved you wrong doesn’t make me a Parker suck up just not a hater like you.

31. Anyone BU fan who does not “hate” Parker for choking away the Beanpot to BC is a Parker suck up.

Continuing to give Parker free passes for his incompetence only helps push BU hockey below mediocrity.

32. Are you people serious? You’re letting Parker slide for LOSING?

He’s won with teams much younger than this before. There’s no reason for any BU fan to drop our standards. If Parker can’t cut it, he should retire and give someone else a chance.

33. After watching Parker in the Beanpot, it is completely clear he no longer has the fire to lead BU.

In the past, he would have gone nuts on the bench for the penalties called against us. Now, he just accepts it.

Time for the glue factory Jack!

34. Losing the beanpot sucks but it isn’t the end of the season like some people think. This is the type of team that can get hot and make a run.

What do you mean give him a free pass? Like he cares what I or you think anyway.You think if we all come out and boo when they play Providence in two weeks then they will rise to #1?

You can’t blame the loss on the coach and no one else. At some point the players gotta make plays and we gotta catch some bounces. BC’s three goals were all deflected. Don’t go and blame Warso for that. Deflected goals just happen it has nothing to do with skill.

Also BU hockey below mediocrity? #14 out of 60 teams two years after a national championship isn’t exactly mediocre.

35. Letting him slide for losing? This team is probably going to finish third in Hockey East. I think he’s done a good job taking a young team that I honestly expected far less from and making them potentially an NCAA tourney team. As a UConn fan I didn’t call for Jim Calhoun to be let go for losing just one game when San Diego knocked them out in the first round of the NCAA tourney in ’08(a much more important game I might add than the regular season, regardless of the opponent). Honestly I can’t sell out a coach who’s two years removed from a national championship. Yes, winning the Beanpot would be nice. But I think Parker’s putting together a team that will not only be good this year, but at the very least next year as well. I don’t care if we lost to BC, this year’s team is head and shoulders above last year’s. Look at the BIG PICTURE! That team yesterday looked like they could have beaten BC.

36. Parker no longer has the fire? Sure sounded like he had it out at RPI when I could hear him yelling from the other side of the arena.

37. More great new – even the BC women kicked the ass of our women in the women’s Beanpot.

We are a disgrace to college hockey!

38. Have we gotten so pathetic that we are using deflected goals as an excuse for the loss and trying to claim we just had back luck?

These are the excuses of a loser program.

39. It isn’t an excuse. That is what happened. It was an even game out there with a few bounces going one way or another that decides the game. A loss is a loss but it was hard not believe if we get a bounce here or there. We win that game. Like yes we could be beating BC 4-0 so the bounces don’t matter but I don’t know if that is a realistic goal this season with one of the best teams in the country. You are going to need to get a bounce here or there to beat them.

40. Jen Wakefield is in two of my classes. She bragged all week of winning the Beanpot.

It was so great to see her leave the first round game a loser!

41. If only the women’s team could have gotten a bounce or two, we wouldn’t have lost to BC a second time in the Beanpot this year.

42. I was at the hockey practice and Parker was acting like a maniac. He was screaming at the players and threatening to bench them for the next game.

Parker still has a lot of fire, it’s just the wrong kind of fire.

43. Since most BU fans are using “tipped” goals as an excuse for the loss, when will they start using the referees as an excuse?

44. Nicastro with another -1.

This guy really, really blows. Please leave and take Warso with you!

45. What did the censored comment say?

46. It was censored for a reason.

47. Real classy having blog posts that have to be removed and once again tipped goals aren’t an excuse it is what happened. I highly doubt anonymous was allowed to sit in on practice but Parker’s fire is one of the last things to be questioned. I agree that Nicastro has not lived up to his potential at all. I think I feel better with MacGregor out there personally because he stays home and doesn’t risk leaving odd-man rushes. Warso is obviously going to be up and down. He didn’t look good Monday on the pp at all but next game he’ll get a SH goal and everyone will forget about it.

48. If Warso and Clendening weren’t such wusses and used their entire body to block shots, we would have won.

Thanks for nothing chumps!

49. I’m surprised the coach and/or fans of the BU women’s hockey team isn’t making as many excuses as the men’s team, coaches, and fans for losing to BC.

50. For the BU women, Kerrin Sperry is terrible. She’s not worthy of being the goalie on this great team.

51. Wow, now the BU students are being blamed for the hockey team’s lost to BC. Is there no end to the embarrassment we have to put up with as BU students? I blame the hockey team, not myself for the loss!

https://dailyfreepress.com/2011/02/09/hayes-disorganized-dog-pound-needs-leadership/

52. Our only chance for a trophy came and passed.

I’m done with BU sports until October.

53. The BU students are now being blamed for the Beanpot loss?

How low will BU fans and Parker suck ups go to protect Parker’s declining coaching ability?

54. Regarding the tipped goals, if BU defensemen had more skill and nerve then those pucks that ended up being tipped would have been blocked and never become goals.

Thanks for losing our Beanpot – it’s the defensemen’s fault!

55. With BU hockey dead, BU sports is dead until next October. Might as well get rid of the sports section in the school paper.

56. Anyone need tickets to Monday’s Beanpot last place game? My group is dumping 15 tickets.

57. Re: Tickets- If you’re serious and not just another troll, email me at scottmclaughlin9@gmail.com. One of my friends is looking for one.

58. Why give away the tickets? You should sell them to BC and Northeastern fans. You can make a fortune!

59. I wonder how many people would be posting their nonsense here if we actually had to register in order post. I haven’t registered because it is easier to just click Anonymous. Maybe that should change.
    It is easy to hide behind the cloak of anonymity.
    We have BC fans posting as if they were BU fans, trying to stir up trouble.
    We have one, maybe a couple, of posters with an ax to grind with Parker.
    We have Glass’s buddies/apologists, and maybe Glass himself, airing grievances against Parker.

Think about changing the policy of posting here. Make people register, to have some accountability for what they post.
    A lot of the hate and nonsense would disappear.
    We might actually get some real hockey talk going.

60. You forgot to include the Parker Suck Ups in your list.

61. Speaking of Andy Glass, if we had Glass on the ice in the Beanpot, we would NOT have lost to BC.

Another incompetent decision by Senile Old Parker!

62. Who are all these “BU fans” happy with a lose to BC, according to the poll?

I’m only happy when BU wins!

Why does PArker and the rest of this underperforming team get a free pass for LOSING?

63. hahahaha yup you are right troll. Glass is Ovechkin’s heir to the throne. That is why the Caps took him so high in the 7th round…How could we be so foolish to let him walk away?

64. Regarding the tickets, all buy them all from you for $15 each. What do you say?

I’m at NoBeanpot4JackParker@gmail.com

65. Glass is a better player than that bum Warso.

They only difference is Warso is far better at sucking up to Parker hence Parker likes him, made him a captain when no one else on the team voted for him, and didn’t kick him out for organizing the Beer Fest last year.

66. Andy Glass would’ve been the difference maker? hahahahahahahahahahaha. If that’s you Andy talking about a “lose” to BC i’m impressed that you managed to stay academically eligible as long as you did at a fairly strenuous institution like BU. Let him keep his scholarship, Parker can find great walk-on talent that is so much better than him (see Garrett Noonan, unless I’m mistaken). Who else on that team is a walk on or has been in the past? I’m sure a decent number of them were/are better than Glass. (or at least more productive)

67. “…fairly strenuous institution like BU.”

How did idiots like Chris Bourque, Chris Drury, John Sabo, Warso, Nicastro, etc stay eligible if BU is such a great school?

LOL…

68. Why are some BU fans excited that we can “play with BC”?

How does losing prove we can “play with BC”?

Using this logic, Lowell (worse team in HE) can play with BU. What does that say about our future?

69. Ticket update – all tickets sold for Monday’s Beanpot.

70. According to the Parker Suck Ups, Warso is the next coming of Bobby Orr.

LOL…this MIGHT be true only if Bobby Orr couldn’t play defense, lost his offensive skills, and had no leadership skills.

71. I love how Parker demoted Nicastro from the 1st defensive paring at this year’s Beanpot because of how badly Kreider burned him last year.

However, Nicastro still managed to play like crap and allow BC to score a goal while he was on the ice.

Can Parker please just get rid of this loser and let him lose games for another team?

72. The only next coming Warso qualifies for is the next thing that drops into a toilet bowl.

73. Did I just read that BU was called a “strenuous institution” by a BU student?

LOL – not one of BU’s brighter students…

74. Nicastro has been on the third pairing most of the season, including the game before the Beanpot. The only time during the past few months he was on the first pairing was when Ruikka was injured. Nicastro was not demoted for the Beanpot.

75. Once again troll, no one ever claimed Warso was Bobby Orr there. He is a solid leader and has had an up and down season.

BU is a very strong academic school. Ask any of the students in classes. You know there are always easier classes that athletes take since the reason they came to BU was to play hockey. It is the same at every big-time sports school and you’re a fool if you think otherwise. You think BC basketball,hockey, and football athletes go take the most challenging classes. There might be one or two per team aka Ryan Ruikka or Noonan who concentrate on their studies as well. Most of the guys focus on hockey first and school secondary. That is just how it is. You can’t put that blame on Parker or any coach. It is how the world of college sports is structured. You think B.J. Raji was an engineering major at BC? oh wait BC doesn’t even have an engineering school and is still looked at as a stellar academic institution.

Also, I think BU fans are happy to see this young team begin to mature as a group and play a game where they could have/should have beat the #1 team in the country. We aren’t happy to lose at all but taking the #1 team in the country to OT and losing on a deflected shot isn’t exactly how Lowell loses games this year. I think Lowell will be back to the top half of HE in the next year or two anyway. They just don’t have the recruiting power of BC,BU,UNH, or Maine to reload year after year.

76. Going to class while a hockey player on a Jack Parker team is a death sentence…just ask Andrew Glass!

77. “…losing on a deflected shot…”

LOL…if Clendening had any nerve, he would have blocked that soft shto with his body and prevented the goal.

Yep, thanks for nothing Clendening!

78. Warso is a solid leader?

Is that what a Parker Suck Up calls a bum who plans a Beer Blast right before the Hockey East Tournament?

79. The Glass comments are over a month old now…he is gone because he didn’t care enough about the team not for going to class.He never made an impact as a player here. Get over it.

80. THe Parker Suck Ups want the Andrew Glass situation but why should it? A player who gets booted for missing an OPTIONAL workout to study for a final is huge news.

Trying to bury the facts only makes the school looks worse.

81. I am talking about this year. And I am pretty sure Clendening was screened on the play. You don’t just go down anytime someone might be shooting from the point. Why don’t all of the haters go back to blogs that concern your own teams?

82. John Sabo never cared much about the team when he kicked in the face of a BU student in October yet Parker let him slide and play the entire year because he was a member of the Parker Suck Ups.

83. Wow, making excuses for that useless Clendening now.

Will you still do so when he gets booted form the team?

84. Clendening screened?

What a bunch of BS. The TV replays show he had a clear view but was too cowardly to drop down to block the shot.

85. You are literally too stupid have an actual argument with…” The Parker Suck Ups want the Andrew Glass situation but why should it?” You are missing a whole phrase in there killer. Also “Trying to bury the facts only makes the school looks worse” is incorrect. It would be “only makes the school look worse”. You use the same issues over and over to generate discussion against BU. You are pretty pathetic if this is how you spend your time throughout the day. Let real hockey talk be in the comments not your garbage.

86. Clendening is a complete disappoint as a freshman. This guy is terrible defensively.

I suppose we can blame that on Warso’s bad influence.

87. I think Andrew Glass was more of a “disappoint” for the last 3 years. In fairness to Coach Parker he probably would’ve only kicked him off the team if he was really “disappoint” with him.

Seriously though I don’t understand how someone who was such a non-entity on the team can raise such a stir. His dismissal is closer to Victor Saponari’s than Vinny’s in terms of the effect on the team’s talent level and potential.

88. Wow, the Parker Suck Ups have resorted to personal insults. That’s when you know there’s no defending his incompetence.

89. aka no response from the troll

90. “You are pretty pathetic if this is how you spend your time throughout the day.”

And how many comments do you have on this blog? It’s hilarious reading your posts about how Parker can’t do any wrong, Glass was wrong and not Parker, this team’s moral victory and bad luck on Monday night, etc etc etc.

This is the type of behavior that gives BU fans a bad name and gets the word fanboy thrown around like candy at Mardi Gras. Spin spin spin spin spin.

Take some of your own advice, get a life and think more and post less, maybe try asking a girl out for pizza after a BU game, and step back for a little bit. You are making yourself look like a dope.