Current Terrier speaks out against Glass

By Scott McLaughlin/DFP Staff

At least one current Terrier disagrees with Andrew Glass’ assertion that his dismissal from the team was unjustified.

The player, who wished to remain anonymous, said via text message that there were “multiple reasons” for Glass’ dismissal and that it was “more than just 1 or 2 things.” He said Glass doesn’t seem to understand that.

“I think he still has no idea why he got kicked off the team,” the player said. “Easy for everybody else to follow the rules.”

The player said BU coach Jack Parker told Glass at the end of last season that he should transfer if he couldn’t abide by team rules. As for the ratings at the end of the season that Glass talked about, the player said Glass neglected to mention that his teammates ranked him in the bottom five in the best teammate category both years he was at BU.

The player said the problem with the optional lift the Monday before winter break wasn’t that Glass missed it; it was that he didn’t tell anyone he was going to miss it. The player said everyone on the team got a text about the lift by 10 a.m., so there was plenty of time for Glass to let someone know by the time it started at 1:30 p.m.

1. An “anonymous player” knows Parker talked to Glass about transferring?

This is pathetic.

There’s no doubt in my mind that this was Parker or another coach putting this story out there to save face.

2. Hmm. Sounds an awful like a captain delivering some dirty work for Parker. This whole thing stinks.

3. If the lift is optional, why would he have to notify anyone? Does this make sense to anyone?

4. If Glass was bottom 5 in terms of best teammate (assuming this is true), why are the other 4 still on the team?

5. By the way, if the lift was OPTIONAL, why did Glass have to tell anyone he was gong to miss it?

6. This BU team is falling apart. Forget about the NCAAs this year. I think Maine is going destroy these guys this weekend. They are not on the same page and they are selling each other out.

7. The coward Terrier that’s speaking out should state his name. Glass and his father went on the record. I guarantee its a captain.

8. Sounds like it was Warso, the Parker butt kisser, who put this out there. I have no doubt it was under orders by Parker or one of the coaches.

9. What does the rest of the team think about “one of their own” selling them out like this?

There’s going to be a lot of hatred and suspicion in the locker room.

If this is who I think it is (named mentioned previously), I want to see if his teammates stick up for him if he takes a cheap hit.

10. Who are the BU captains this year? We all know it was one of them who sold out their teammate in order to suck up to Parker.

11. I would guess #12 not Warso. I heard his nose is as brown as it gets!!!

12. This article is pathetic. Whoever this is, knows way too much and could only get this info (whether true or not true) from Parker. It has to be a captain.

Teammates don’t have to all be best friends, but they need to support each other. Otherwise teams fall apart. Where is the brotherhood? Don’t they get it that Parker could turn on them just as easy because he wants their scholarship?

13. Sounds to me like someone has an axe to grind with Glass. Not a good sign for BU hockey.

14. No player should know as much as this “anonymous player” does. This is so obviously a plant.

I’m starting to think that Glass and his family have the makings of a lawsuit since so much effort has been made to discredit Glass after he went public.

15. I sure as hell hope that the NCAA does something about a coach that penalizes players who miss an optional work out during a period when the NCAA forbids mandatory work outs.

But Parker is above any kind of discipline, isn’t he?

16. I’m kinding thinking the “Anonymous” person commenting here is Glass himself…

17. glass should shut up and leave and bu should shut up and leave
    both acted bad but in the end they dont want him
    no one knows who anonymous is so why drag kids into it

fyi, all the bs fringe info you claim is so sacred, would easily be common knowledge i a lockerroom. every kid talks,. absurd to think it is or would have been a secret

18. everybody needs to relax…the Parker bashing is utterly ridiculous! there’s 2 sides to every story…I feel bad for Glass but does that warrant everybody to turn on BU like this?

19. As somewhat of an insider within the program, I can vouch that this is true:

“As for the ratings at the end of the season that Glass talked about, the player said Glass neglected to mention that his teammates ranked him in the bottom five in the best teammate category both years he was at BU.”

I don’t know which player spoke up in this article, but I do know there have been rumblings within the program, going back to 2 years ago, about Glass’ work ethic, attitude, and violation of team rules. But since the team was full steam ahead towards their championship run back then and Glass was a Freshman getting little playing time, this wasn’t newsworthy.

Glass was never the most respected nor well-liked teammate. Even though he’s always lived w/ other guys on the team since arriving at BU, he never seemed to develop a bond w/ most of his teammates.

20. I am with the last poster.Lets just play hockey and stay fans of the team besides pretending Parker is a crazy old man and Glass was a perfect hard working little angel. I would not be surprised at all if most of these comments were Glass,his father and his buddies. It is a little ironic that they call for this player to say his name when they refuse to do so while making a comment. Stand behind your comments as well

21. I don’t really understand everyone’s problem? After the drinking episode the end of last year, Parker said he had a zero tolerance policy. Therefore, the Saponaris messed up, so they were kicked off the team. Same now with Glass.

22. Parker is a disgrace.

This Glass kid has nothing to gain from speaking out against Parker. He also has nothing to lose.

Meanwhile, Parker and current players have an image to protect by running a counter to Glass’ story and the anonymous player had to do this for Parker to appease his coach, they both had something to gain and silence would have hurt either of Parker and his anon player. It’s interesting Parker had no real comment but now he’s floating the excuses out there through an unnamed player.

You have to step back and ask yourself, why did Parker let John Sabo stay on the team after rearranging a kid’s face with his foot while Saponari and Glass are kicked off. Why is Trivino still on the team? He’s worthless and was a Puckstar with Vinny. Parker has no consistency.

This may or may not help BU on the ice. But this will not help BU when it comes to recruiting.

This whole thing stinks like an old man that has bad hygiene. And that smell is coming from Jack Parker’s office. Think about the stuff that has come out and piece it together.

23. Glass was never well liked by this team and he never had any respect for the team, the coaches, or the program. And all that info credited to the anonymous player doesnt necessarily mean it came from a captain. Ever heard of locker room talk? Does his dismissal look bad for the program? Yes and no. But the reasons he was kicked off are irrelevant at this point. He’s gone and there is still a decent amount of hockey to play. Now onto Maine…

24. why are people bashing Glass’ reputation. Particularly, if you have no idea. Everyone seems to want to stay anonymous and fire off scuds. I would like to verify a couple of things. Was Glass near or at the top in conditioning? If so, that dimisses the lack of hard work bs. As far as being liked or not liked, players on most teams hang out with a certain group or with their girlfriends… Does he have a steady girlfirend? If so, he probably hangs with her in his free time. So lets not get carried away as most (if not all) of us, do not know him personally. As for Parker, there is a track record over many years and if you give me some time, I could come up with several names of players that were given similar treatment albeit usually at the end of a school year.

25. Scott – you wrote these articles. What’s your take?

26. In retrospect, given what we now know about Glass being told he should probably transfer, it would’ve been mutually beneficial if Glass had taken his coach’s advice and transferred. Would’ve had 2 years eligibility to find a better fit and opportunity for him, plus both sides could’ve saved face.

27. As others have already said, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle of the two sides. I think there’s probably more to it than what Glass said, but I also think Parker probably could’ve handled it better.

28. I still think there is a double standard on this team. Certain players can get away with things (Triv, warso, Chias, etc) and certain players can’t. Aren’t the best coaches consistent with all players. It seems to me that parker takes out his anger on certain players (eg. McGuirk, Glass, smolinsky, etc) so he can get his way (eg. macArthur). It’s a poor way to create comraderie … I also think the leadership from the captains is pathetic. That’s two years in a row.

29. The Parker apologist are hilarious. In their eyes, Parker can do no wrong.

30. What’s with the “everyone else follows the rules” comment by this Terrier sellout?

Is he forgetting about the beer bash Warso put together last year for about 10 teammates before the Hockey East Tournament?

31. I wonder how many of these “Anonymous” posts are coming from BC fans. Quite a bit I’d gather.

32. That would insinuate that BC actually has hockey fans that care about the team even when the game isn’t on TV or a rival… there might be one or two but im going with Glass and his buddies for most of these. It is easy to comment under an anonymous cover

33. wasn’t sabo the one who was found not guilty? props to quackquack for being the only one not posting anonymously. At least show your face if you’re gonna act like a big shot insider who knows exactly what happened. Calling Parker and Glass and the anonymous tipster liars/crazy/hypocritical is kinda hypocritical yourself when you’re hiding behind that guise. To quote one of the anonymous posters on the other article, I’d say that qualifies someone as a “phsycho”

34. I wonder how many of these “Anonymous” posts are coming from Parker and his boot lickers. Quite a bit I’d gather.

35. LOL – Sabo found not guilty?

Sabo paid the kid he almost killed a huge settlement to stay out of jail.

By the way, the Sabo crime occured in October and Parker knew about it yet let him play the entire year yet Parker kicked Glass off the team for wanting to study.

36. There is no way you can make that assumption unless you know all the facts from the situation. Whether he paid the kid or not he was never found guilty which is why he was not kicked off the team. Glass seems to have cared more about himself than the team and that is why he was kicked off not because of studying or anything else.

37. Sabo’s trial wasn’t even scheduled until after the season. The FACT that he kicked in the BU student’s face was UNDISPUTED even before the trial…and Parker knew it.

So, keep licking Parker’s boots and making excuses for him.

38. LOL – he was NOT found not guilty.

The case never went to trial because Sabo paid off the kid.

But keep making up facts to support Parker…

39. “acquitted by a jury” is a particularly illustrative phrase from that piece i think. I’m not taking a side one way or the other, I’m at least just taking the time to use sources to backup my points and again, not hiding behind the veil of internet anonymity. I was trying to look for articles that said sabo was found guilty by a jury of his peers but they seem to be not there…

40. Wait just a second. I can’t believe some of you people are defending Parker and Sabo in regards to the vicious beating Sabo put on a kid.

First, Sabo kicking in that kid’s face is absolutely 100% fact. He admits he got into a fight with the kid since he also filed charges against him. Those were quickly dismissed because they found no probable cause. Not so for the victim’s charges against Sabo. Hmmm… I guess Sabo and him got into a fight, then the kid fell facefirst into the cement sidewalk and had his face rearranged that way.

Second, Sabo’s family is filthy rich and his dad settled out of court and paid the victim to avoid a civil lawsuit as the victim had planned to keep this news from hitting the papers once again. At that time Sabo had still aspired to be a professional hockey player. Laughable but true.

Third, while Sabo had his charges dismissed in criminal court where the burden of proof was on prosecutors, that by no means exonerates Parker from allowing this criminal to play on his team.

Again, pretending like this didn’t happen is a cute charade but it was a terrible thing what Sabo did to that kid (several other members on the hockey team were present as well, in case you were wondering). It did happen. Sabo is a criminal, belongs in jail, is fortunate he isn’t, and Parker should have higher standards than “prosecutors couldn’t prove it so that’s good enough for me.”

Parker readily admits that he knew it happened, did his own investigation, and found that Sabo was innocent. I’m sure Parker rounded up witnesses from that night and interviewed them. BUPD, if you go back into internet archives, begged to differ with Jack.

But I’m sure you all knew this anyway. Right? Right? Anyone?

41. I am reading all of these posts, and thinking this is actually a BU news site?
    No way there is this much negativity toward Parker from within. It seems like this forum is populated with posters from outside of BU that are looking to damage Parker’s and BU’s reputations for their own gains. Recruiting can be a dirty business …
    Talk to Parker’s former players, going all the way back to the 1970s. They all say the same thing: he’s tough, but he’s fair. That’s what you want in a coach.
    Doesn’t mean he hasn’t made mistakes. He’s made plenty, as all coaches that last a long time do. But his great reputation has been EARNED over 38 years as a head coach.
    When situations like this arise, it is most often an under-performing player who “doesn’t understand.” What they don’t get is the reason they are failing can be found by looking in the mirror, not in the coach’s office.
    Glass been an under-performer since he got to BU. He basically disappeared in the second semester of the NCAA championship season. His act was already tired, and his teammates had no use for him.
    He did nothing last season when given the opportunity to show what he could do. And except for a few flashes, his “game” has always been better suited to the Ice Capades than to college hockey.
    Hockey is all about the 3-D’s: Discipline, Dedication and Desire. The only D, no make that an F, that Glass got was in Effort, or lack thereof.
    Parker’s reputation is not going to be sullied by the likes of Glass and Saponari, two unfortunate kids that have had to learn the hard way that they need to take responsibility for themselves. Time for them to grow up.

42. Parker’s reputation was already sullied by the likes of Sabo, Bennett, and Bourque.

43. Amen to that. 80% of these posts are from fans of other schools who hate Parker because he has beaten them over and over for 38 years.

44. First of all, Glass missed the entire second half of the season his freshman year with a major concussion followed up by mono. Don’t post things unless you have the facts.

45. Since the Sabo debate is clearly becoming a discussion of the merits of the legal system in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, it’s probably not worth continuing to argue, especially since most of what’s being traded isn’t being backed up by much more than hearsay (other than the suit by Sabo against the other guy being dismissed)

As far as Parker’s merits and methods go, I grew up in Connecticut and have been a diehard UConn basketball fan my entire life. Now that I am at BU on an academic scholarship, I would lose it if I failed to live up to the requirements in either a behavioral or performance capacity. I think it would be fair to say that in elite programs like UConn basketball or BU hockey, there are high expectations for hard work. Just because some student-athletes can’t handle the pressure or obligations of an elite program and choose to leave or are dismissed, does that make Jim Calhoun, Geno Auriemma or Jack Parker a bad or malicious coach? All I know is that in my brief 21 years that these men have combined for 11 National Championships in their respective sports and 22 Final Fours. That sounds like an record that speaks for itself. It is their prerogative as coaches to ensure that the students on their team are worthy of the programs they are joining or are a part of.

46. So you’re giving up the Sabo argument because you lost…

47. Jim Calhoun, Geno Auriemma and Jack Parker – 3 scumbag coaches who could care less about their players.

48. “80% of these posts are from fans of other schools who hate Parker because he has beaten them over and over for 38 years.”

LOL – at best, Parker MIGHT have beaten their teams for 20 years.

49. Interesting to read all of the Anonymous posters upset because the player wanted to remain Anonymous.
    Laughable.
    Like most of these posts attacking Parker, whose reputation is solid in the college and professional hockey communities.
    So who are yah? Probably BC Superfans (an oxymoron if there ever was one), NU Dogpounders and maybe a few Mainiacs and University of No Hardwarers.
    Amazing that a fourth line winger so obviously lacking in effort and desire can create such a stir.
    People that live in Glass houses shouldn’t be throwing stones.

50. 4-3 win in Maine…sure looks like the team is falling apart! Some people care way too much about topics they know nothing about, pretty comical if u ask me.

51. Scott got it right when he stated the truth is likely somewhere in the middle but that clearly doesn’t excuse Parker’s arrogance and arbitrary approach to kids future.
    Parker is despised and feared by the vast majority of his team because in the end it is Parker’s team and all about Parker. There are certainly fans on Parker on the team like the captain appointed by Parker despite not receiviing one vote from his teammates.
    Glass likely would not have been kicked off other teams but this is Jack’s team and he can do as he pleases.
    Glass certainly made mistakes and was not one of the more respected players by his teammates but despite this, most of his former teammates do not understand the extreme actions of Parker.
    In the end, Parker doesn’t care what the team thinks or what we think and does not believe he owes anyone an explanation including Mr Glass.
    I do believe the team will stay together and focus on doing the best they can to win every remaining game regardless of differing opinions of Glass’s fate. Crisco deserves a lot of credit as a strong leader holding this group together as evidenced by tonights gutty victory over Maine.

52. “Amazing that a fourth line winger so obviously lacking in effort and desire can create such a stir.”

Don’t you get it? Parker should be treating his kids the same, whether they are walk-ons or 1st liners.

This has nothing to do with a kid that isn’t producing on the ice. This has to do with a kid not being treated with respect by his coach.

It is hilarious to see die hard hockey fans defending this guy. He’s an embarrassment to the university. And spare me the Travis Roy sob stories, that good will is gone with the dismissals of numerous players over the last 15 years.

53. Anyone have a good explanation for why these kids are getting kicked off for being late and John Sabo was not kicked off for kicking a kid’s head in outside a bar.

I saw someone above was looking for one and I still don’t see a good explanation yet.

54. “This has nothing to do with a kid that isn’t producing on the ice. This has to do with a kid not being treated with respect by his coach.”

No. This is a about a player that didn’t respect the game, his teammates or getting a free ride to a great school.

Respect is earned.
    Parker is highly respected for a reason: he earned it.

Perhaps if Glass had to earn something, he might respect it. And he’d be a whole lot better off for it.

55. Parker liked Sabo and was willing to look the other way because Sabo was one of his top boot lickers.

Just compare Sabo to Warso – Warso organized the beer fest that got players booted last year yet he’s still on the team because he’s Parker’s top boot licker this year.

56. Andrew Glass’s hockey career is over. Period. He saw to that fact. A kid whose talents peaked before he even got to BU. Sometimes the game catches up to kids at the D-1 level. When you do not play well you have little room for breaking rules and no-shows. He was not talented enough to get by on his talent alone. Wake up. His dismissal is addition by subtraction. And has everyone noticed that now BC has passed on Vinny Saponari? It is no accident.

57. “BC has passed on Vinny Saponari” because his grades were too poor to get him admitted.

What does it say about BU and Parker when Sapornari had the grades to keep playing at BU under Parker yet not have the grades be good enough to transfer into another college?

58. Parker must have completely lost his recruiting skills when he offers a kid “whose talents peaked before he even got to BU”.

That would explain Clendening and his lousy play. He better look out because he’ll likely be the next to get booted.

59. All of these posts are pathetic attempts to try to rip BU down because of a dismissal that the team obviously supports. So much for that “lay down” last night. Coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win 4-3 at Alfond doesn’t seem like a team who has quit on its coach to me. Also not parker’s job to make sure saponari has the grades to transfer to another school. It is the same at any school. The grades required to play are less than that to move to another school with a high academic standard no matter where you are.

60. “The grades required to play are less…”

Can’t disagree there. BU has plenty of examples of kids who fit that category – Dan Lacouture, Chris Bourque, Yip, Warso, etc…

61. Grades did not keep Saponari out of BC. An influential booster protested about him joining the Eagles and that kept him out of BC.

62. LOL – the Saponari course load at BU kept him out of BC.

It seems BC expect all of its students to take real classes.