Nicastro handed one-game suspension

Sophomore defenseman Max Nicastro has been suspended by the team for Wednesday’s contest against No. 15 Merrimack College for his actions in Boston University’s 4-2 win at the University of Vermont, according to BU coach Jack Parker.

Nicastro was handed a 10-minute misconduct for shoving a dislodged net in the direction of an official during the third period of the Vermont game. Freshman Patrick MacGregor will fill in along the blue line.

Nicastro has 2 goals and 2 assists in 20 games played this season, and has 5 goals and 19 assists in 57 career games with the Terriers. The Thousand Oaks, Calif. native was a third-round selection (91st overall) by the Detroit Red Wings in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

1. Is Nicastro the next to be booted permanently from the team?

2. It may have been in 1979 … BU’s leading scorer, Mark Fidler, speared a player in a game against Princeton. The referee didn’t see it. Parker did. Fidler didn’t get back on the ice that game, and sat out the next.
    That was his sophomore year. He learned his lesson and led the team in scoring all four years.
    Just a little tough love for Nicastro.
    He’ll learn from it, and be better for it.

In last week’s Globe article on Colby Cohen, he said that Parker ‘was really tough on him, but was always fair.’
    Well said. That is what you want in a coach.

3. Maybe the Globe could get a quote from the Saporni brothers about Parker too.

4. The Saporni brothers? I think you mean Saponari brothers and Victor is still at BU getting his degree and he barely played anyway. Vinny was given numerous chances from everything I have read. He crossed the line and Parker said if the team doesn’t agree with the decision they re evaluate and obviously the team had no problem with it. NiCastro will be back for Merrimack game. I don’t possibly see fans see having discipline as an issue with Parker. He has lead this program and disciplined players for 38 years. I think he knows what work and what doesn’t.

5. Discipline is NOT a problem at BU.
    The powerplay and generating shots on goal is with the current team.