Thursday’s FreeP coverage of BU’s 5-4 win over Northeastern

Jake Seiner recaps the team’s win, including its slow starts to both the first and third periods as well as its four-goal streak and triumphant power-play goal in the third.

Scott McLaughlin writes a sidebar on sophomore forward Ryan Santana’s first goal and how BU coach Jack Parker predicted it following an usual game of shadow ball during Monday’s practice.

1. The slow to the game was particularly disappointing – galling even, coming after the two crushing losses to Chestnut Hill College. Why weren’t these guys ready to play? Did they take Northeastern lightly? Hey, the just won at Merrimack, no easy feat these days.
    Cronin was definitely watching the games against the Eagles, and had his players shooting high on Millan, who gave up another over the glove side. Millan has been ducking on high shots and the opposition has picked up on it. Fortunately he stopped doing it in the second period and hopefully it is just a minor abboration.
    Great to see “Carlos” Santana score his first goal. The guy simply busts his butt out on the ice. He’s shown some offensive moves this season. He’d be helped by some power-skating instruction. His just not smooth on the blades. But man, if eveyone worked at his rate!
    Once again, they failed to shoot from the point with so many open looks.
    Ruikka – you’ve got a great wrist shot – let it go. The deflections and rebounds will lead to goals.
    Clendening and Nicastro need to shoot more, too! A lot more.
    I like seeing power forwards Chiasson and Coyle with “Nifty” Nieto. Getting Connolly back will be huge – he skates and skates and skates and has ALL of the intangibles that should lift his teammates.
    Finally, how could Millan not be one of the Three Stars? Travesty. He stole the points.