From the FreeP: Controversial call doesn’t go Terriers’ way in waning moments

By Sam Dykstra/DFP Staff

As the overtime clock struck 15 seconds, Boston University sophomore forward Alex Chiasson collected a bouncing puck along the right boards for one last potential rush into the University of Massachusetts zone. Chiasson looked up ice to see a streaking Matt Nieto flying through the neutral zone. The sophomore veteran, playing in his first game of the season following the conclusion of a three-game suspension, threaded a perfect pass to the freshman right at the Minutemen’s blue line, and it was off to the races.

With nothing in front of him but shaved ice and UMass goaltender Jeff Teglia, Nieto began to cut toward the net in an attempt to break the game’s 2-2 draw with a line of Minutemen speeding to catch him.

But just as Nieto entered the slot, UMass defenseman Conor Allen took a whack from behind him as if he were a lumberjack cutting down a redwood. The penalty arm went up, but Nieto continued anyway, firing just wide left of the target. Soon after the shot wildly struck the back boards, the cries of dismay by the 5,920 in attendance at Agganis Arena soon turned into calls for a penalty shot.

For more, click over to dailyfreepress.com.

1. At the game, a friend of mine pointed out that there is a flaw in the current rule system that allows someone to get away with a penalty this close to the end of the game, knowing that the power play is likely to be ineffective with such little time left. In essence, there’s really no reason for their defenseman not to foul this late, at least according to the rules. I won’t use the word cheat since it’s not, but in consideration of players who pull stunts like this knowingly, the rules should be changed to make a more effective late game penalty situation. Not sure exactly how, though.