Trivino and Chiasson suspended for three games; Parker to miss exhibition game

By Scott McLaughlin/DFP Staff

Junior forward Corey Trivino and sophomore forward Alex Chiasson will both be suspended for the Boston University men’s hockey team’s exhibition game against the University of Toronto this Saturday as well as the first two games of the regular season, according to Terrier coach Jack Parker.

The Daily Free Press reported Trivino’s suspension on May 3 and Parker confirmed it the next day, but no length was given at the time. On May 6, the Free Press reported that Trivino and Vinny Saponari, who was dismissed from the team, showed up late to a mandatory bike ride that was punishment for a March 17 drinking incident that involved 13-15 players, including Trivino and Saponari. Parker said on Wednesday that there was a chance Trivino’s suspension could be reduced.

Also on May 6, the Free Press reported that another player who had not been named to that point would be suspended for a separate incident that occurred earlier in the season. Parker confirmed on Wednesday that that player was Chiasson and that he had broken team rules. Parker said he hadn’t named Chiasson or announced the suspension earlier because the punishment had not been decided yet.

Parker to miss exhibition game

Parker said he will miss Saturday’s game against Toronto because he has yet to receive medical clearance from doctors following heart bypass surgery over the summer, but that he hopes to be in back in time for the season-opening Warrior Ice Breaker Tournament in St. Louis on Oct. 8. He said he was “almost positive” that if he wasn’t back in time for the Ice Breaker, he’d be back in time for the Oct. 16 game against the University of Massachusetts.

“I feel pretty well,” Parker said. “Every day is getting better and better. … I feel 100 percent, but I haven’t gotten the OK from the doctor yet to go back to work.”

BU picked fourth in Hockey East coaches poll

For the second day in a row, the Terriers were picked to finish fourth in a preseason Hockey East poll — this time by the coaches. As was the case with yesterday’s media poll, they finished behind Boston College, the University of Maine and the University of New Hampshire, respectively.

Here’s the complete coaches poll (first-place votes in parentheses).

1. Boston College (9) 90
2. Maine (1) 80
3. New Hampshire 76
4. Boston University 59
5. Northeastern 54
6. Vermont 53
7. Merrimack 48
8. UMass-Lowell 33
9. Massachusetts 26
10. Providence 21

1. I mean I know we (BU) won 2008-09, but the returning team in 2009-10 was not the same, by a long shot. Frankly I was surprised at the beginning of 2009-10 at our high ranking in the coaches’ poll. I can’t help but wonder if this year’s poll is any better, though I have to say it’s hard to argue with 1-3. I’d say NU as high as 5 is surprising, but the lines all start to blur past a certain point, and I guess it doesn’t really matter.

2. I’d say NU below 1st is a tragedy. Blow me.

3. The big question mark in my mind is the Terrier blue liners. Young and coachless is a tough combination.

4. This team will surprise. Millan was fitted for contacts over the offseson and that should help him from fighting the puck. The key freshman (Coyle, Nieto, Clendening) will contribute immediately. By second half expect this team to gel. If the rest of the team follows the examples of their captains they will be fine.

5. This is the most uncertain year I have known in the 45 years I have followed this team. What is going on here?
    Ralph B. Boston

6. The 2008 team was held in check due to the great leadership of Matt Gilroy and John McCarthy. Last year’s team lacked leadership and they were content with the prior year’s achievements.