Hockey East Preseason Power Rankings: No. 4 BU

By Scott McLaughlin/DFP Staff

4) Boston University
2009-10 record: 18-17-3 (13-12-2 HE)
Finish in HE: T-3rd (lost in tournament semifinals)
Key returners: Jr. F Chris Connolly (10-21-31), Jr. D David Warsofsky (12-11-23), Sr. F Joe Pereira (5-16-21), So. F Alex Chiasson (7-12-19), Jr. F Corey Trivino (4-11-15), So. D Max Nicastro (3-12-15), Jr. G Kieran Millan (3.15, .891)
Key losses: F Nick Bonino (11-27-38), D Colby Cohen (14-16-30), F Vinny Saponari (12-18-30), D Kevin Shattenkirk (7-22-29), F Zach Cohen (15-10-25), D Eric Gryba (4-6-10)
Notable freshmen: F Charlie Coyle, F Matt Nieto, F Yasin Cisse, D Adam Clendening
Coach: Jack Parker

How they finished
After being picked first in the Hockey East preseason coaches poll, the Terriers went a disappointing 4-9-3 in the first half. They posted a much-improved 12-6-0 record in the second half and knocked off Merrimack in three games in the quarterfinals, but their season came to an end with an underwhelming 5-2 loss to Maine in the semifinals. According to Parker, the team “pissed away” the season because of a “lousy attitude.” To borrow one of Parker’s favorite expressions, attitude will be everything this year.

Offense
The Terriers lose five of their top six scorers, including three of their top six forwards, but they still return three 20-point scorers and five other double-digit scorers. Second-round NHL picks Corey Trivino and Alex Chiasson and fifth-round pick Wade Megan, none of whom reached the 20-point plateau last season, will be expected to step up their games and produce like future NHLers. In addition to bringing back some talent, BU also brings in the most promising batch of freshman forwards in the conference — Charlie Coyle was a first-round pick this summer, Yasin Cisse was a fifth-round pick and Matt Nieto is projected to be a first-round pick next summer.

Defense and goaltending
BU loses three of its top four defensemen, but as is the case up front, there is still quite a bit of talent on the back line. David Warsofsky, a fourth-round pick, and Max Nicastro, a third-round pick, are both solid two-way players who should be in the discussion for best defensemen in the league. Rookie Adam Clendening, like Nieto, projects as a first-round pick in next year’s draft. In net, the Terriers return Kieran Millan, who will be counted on to play more like the goalie who was named NCAA Rookie of the Year two seasons ago than the one who ranked 11th in the conference in save percentage last year. Classmate Grant Rollheiser should see time between the pipes, too.

Scott’s poll
1) Sept. 28
2) Sept. 27
3) Sept. 24
4) Boston University
5) Merrimack
6) Vermont
7) Northeastern
8) Providence
9) Massachusetts-Lowell
10) Massachusetts

1. why is Jack parker listed as coach for the 2010-11 season?

2. Good question, Anonymous. I’m glad you asked. There are several reasons for that, the primary one being that Jack Parker is in fact the coach for the 2010-11 season.

3. If Jack isn’t the coach Can we get Saponari back?

4. Does “team” include coaches where attitude is concerned?

5. Parker admitted that there was plenty he could’ve done differently last season, but if you’re specifically asking about attitude, then no, that does not include the coaches. This from my season recap last year:

“It’s hard to coach a team when the players don’t want what the coaches want,” Parker said. “They weren’t hungry enough. The coaches wanted to do it again, have a good season, but at no time was that a priority with our team as far as I could tell.”

The whole story’s here if you want a refresher: https://www.dailyfreepress.com/sports/wasted-1.2211310

6. BU’s 2009-10 was a huge disappointment because too many players couldn’t be arsed to put in a real effort and preferred to live off the glories of 2008-08.
    If the senses of entitlement have been eliminated, BU will be much better this season.

7. You forgot to add “The Hockey East Referees” under notable returners