Terriers land highly touted defense recruit for fall of 2014

By Scott McLaughlin/DFP Staff

Anthony DeAngelo, a highly touted offensive defenseman, has committed to BU for the fall of 2014, according to US Hockey Report.

The 14-year-old Sewell, N.J. native, who is entering his freshman year of high school, will play for the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders of the USHL this season. According to US Hockey Report, he’ll be the youngest player in the USHL’s 63-year history.

DeAngelo visited BU on Wednesday, his only official visit to any school, and committed right then and there, the article said.

US Hockey Report describes DeAngelo as “a take-charge type, an excellent skater with magical feet and hands, and an ability to read plays, quickly sizing up his options and choosing the best one. A power play QB type with a boatload of offensive skills, DeAngelo is a kid who can go end-to-end — an exciting up-tempo player.”

This past season, the 5-foot-11 blue-liner was the leading scorer on a Westchester Express under-14 team that finished as the runners-up at the USA Hockey Nationals in April.

DeAngelo is the first member of the Terriers’ 2014 recruiting class.

Controversial shorthanded icing proposal pulled
A proposal that would allow shorthanded teams to be called for icing, one that angered many fans and coaches (including BU’s Jack Parker), has been taken off the table, the NCAA announced today. The new rule will be used for exhibitions in each of the next two seasons before being revisited in the summer of 2012. All other proposals remained unchanged.