Terriers add local boy Noonan for upcoming season

By Scott McLaughlin/DFP Staff

It might sound a little bit like the last hole in Caddyshack at BU road games this season. There won’t be explosions or dancing gophers, but there could be taunts of “Nnnnoonan!”

That’s because defenseman Garrett Noonan has committed to the Terriers for the upcoming season, according to the Vernon Vipers’ team website.

The 19-year-old Norfolk, Mass., native played with fellow incoming freshman Sahir Gill for the Vipers this past season, helping the team win the Royal Bank Cup, which is awarded annually to the Canadian Junior “A” champion.

The 6-foot-1, 205-pound left-handed shot tallied two goals and 16 assists in 58 regular-season games before collecting three goals and three assists in 19 playoff games.

Prior to joining the Vipers, Noonan played at Catholic Memorial School — BU coach Jack Parker’s alma mater. He helped lead the Knights to a state title his senior year in 2008-09, registering 12 goals and 22 assists in 30 games. He was named Catholic Conference co-MVP and earned Boston Globe All-Scholastic honors.

Noonan is regarded as a physical, defense-first player. The Globe called him “one of the most physical players in the state” his senior season and Vipers assistant coach Jason Williamson called him “a big body, steady, stay-at-home defenseman” in a profile on Vipers TV. Williamson added that “he’s really competitive, he hates losing.”

With the addition of Noonan, the Terriers now have eight defensemen for next season, meaning they’re likely set on the blue line barring any summer departures or de-commitments.

With only 13 forwards as of now, BU will likely add at least one more player up front before the season.

A source close to the team said Yasin Cisse, a forward whose arrival had been pushed back to the fall of 2011 because of an ankle injury, will come this season if he’s healthy enough. The team has yet to make a final decision on Cisse.