Coyle to be honored at tonight’s Bruins game

By Scott McLaughlin/DFP Staff

Incoming freshman forward Charlie Coyle will be honored with the John Carlton Award during the second intermission of Thursday’s Bruins-Sabres game at the TD Garden.

The award is given annually to the high school senior who combines exceptional hockey skills with academic excellence while competing for an Eastern Massachusetts high school or junior team.

Coyle, who will have the award presented to him by Hockey Hall of Famer and Bruins legend Cam Neely, is a senior at Weymouth High School. He played for the South Shore Kings of the Eastern Junior Hockey League, earning EJHL rookie of the year honors after finishing fifth in the league in scoring with 21 goals and 42 assists for 63 points in 42 games.

It’s been a good week for Coyle, whose uncle is former Terrier Tony Amonte. On Wednesday, he was ranked 24th in NHL Central Scouting’s final 2010 draft rankings. That was first among incoming freshman forwards and third among all incoming rookies behind only North Dakota’s Derek Forbort and Michigan’s Jonathon Merrill.

1. I’m sure Charlie deserves the award, etc. And there might be a good reason why Massachusetts is geographically separated into East and West. But it sounds like a really narrow award for JUST Eastern Massachusetts. I have no real point; it’s just mildly amusing, that’s all. Congrats to Charlie.

2. I also found that amusing. Do they award the Central Mass award at a Worcester Sharks game and the Western Mass award at a Springfield Falcons game or something? It’s kind of like how only the Eastern Mass high school football Super Bowl gets to be at Gillette. Athletes west of 495 are getting robbed!

3. i’m so proud of him . he is a friend of mine when he went to thayer. so proud of you charlie. keep it up !!!

4. I was there, and I want to say that he looked pretty happy with his award and damn good in a suit. =]