Grading the Terriers: 12/4 vs. Vermont

By Cary Betagole/DFP Staff

Offense: B+

BU’s offense registered a respectable three goals Friday, but the story was their near misses. Vermont sophomore goalie Rob Madore made 37 saves, but greatly benefited from a couple friendly bounces off the posts and crossbar. Midway through the third period, everyone inside “The Greek” thought junior defenseman Colby Cohen had netted the go-head goal on a wrister from the top of the slot. As it turned out, Cohen’s shot deflected off Madore, and then off the left post, resulting in a no-goal

Defense: B+

BU coach Jack Parker wasn’t pleased with the play of many players, but junior captain Kevin Shattenkirk and senior defenseman Eric Gryba were two he was happy with. Not to mention Gryba netted his first goal of the season, to the uproarious pleasure of the Terrier faithful. “I’ve got that monkey off my back for this season,” he joked.

Goaltending: B-

Sophomore goaltender Grant Rollheiser made 21 saves on 24 shots Friday. Vermont’s two first-period goals came within 34 seconds of each other. On the first, Rollie didn’t have much of a chance, getting beat off a pass low glove side after stepping up to meet an attack in the center of the crease. But on the second, a lapse in concentration may have helped Brayden Irwin’s shot from the left circle make it through to the back of the net.

Special Teams: C+

BU was perfect on the penalty kill Friday night, as Vermont went 0-for-3. But considering Vermont’s 9.6-percent season success rate ranks next to last in Division I, that should have been expected. The Terriers were 1-for-6 on the power play—Corey Trivino executed 14:42 into the third to tie the game at three. But in the waning moments of regulation and into overtime, the Terriers couldn’t take advantage of a Wahsontiio Stacey hooking call and score the go-ahead goal.

X-Factor: Falling behind… again

After outshooting the University of Vermont in the first period, 13-6, Boston University saw its momentum disappear with the Catamounts’ two-goal surge. The Terriers were forced into a familiar situation, faced with a comeback attempt for the fourth game in a row.