BU-UMass Postgame Notes

Photo by Sarah Gordon, DFP Staff

-BU coach Jack Parker said that sophomore forward Andrew Glass was scratched for breaking team rules. When asked to elaborate, he responded, “He broke team rules.” Glass is expected to be back on Tuesday against Notre Dame.
-Parker said that he thought his younger players were his best players. He mentioned that the third line of Corey Trivino, Wade Megan and Alex Chiasson was BU’s best line. He also said that he liked the way freshman defensemen Sean Escobedo and Max Nicastro played, and that that was why he paired them together for the second and third periods.
-Parker, echoing himself from the two exhibition games, said that his team got too fancy. He said that it looked like they “wanted to get a 10 goal, not a two goal,” referring to the fact that his team was acting like they would be judged after they scored. He specifically called out his top two lines for getting too showy.
-Parker said his team’s “center ice play was horrible.”
-UMass coach Don Cahoon added that he thought there were times where BU’s defensemen held the puck too long, specifically in the neutral zone.
-Parker said that he was disappointed with the play of Kevin Shattenkirk, Colby Cohen and Eric Gryba on defense. “Our important guys played below their capabilities,” he said.
-Parker said that his goalie, Kieran Millan, was terrific. “Millan played great.”

1. We have been a noriously slow starting team for as long as I can remember. The play of some of the newcomers bodes well and hopefully the expected big scorers will step up with improved play from the supporting cast

2. I mean, last year’s team did stomp all over North Dakota and Michigan State in the opener…

Still, the upperclassmen will come around. You’re right CDRAL, if the newbies continue to play well when the returning guys get things rolling, good things could be in BU’s future.