Recaps, Women's Hockey

BU women’s hockey completes sweep over Maine with 2-0 victory

Photo Cristina Romano.

The Boston University women’s team remained undefeated at Agganis Arena after  completing its sweep over the University of Maine on Saturday with a 2-0 win, continuing to build on its success after making the USA Hockey/The Rink Live poll for the first time in four years.

The series was far from pretty. The offense was unable to sustain pressure and generate consistent quality chances at the net. Coming into the second game, head coach Tara Watchorn made the decision to switch up the lines, including the top combination.

“I think you’re going to see a lot of switches, and I think we just want to spark some more offense,” Watchorn said.

Despite the outcomes, BU also struggled to maintain control of the puck and was continuously bailed out by senior goaltender Callie Shanahan when the Black Bears tried to take advantage.

Shanahan got her first test immediately. Maine sophomore forward Sam Morrison stole the puck from a battle along the boards in the neutral zone, then drove to the net for a breakaway 26 seconds after puck drop. Shanahan smothered the point-blank shot, and the play was whistled dead before the Terrier defense had even reached Morrison.

“[Shanahan]’s playing great for us. She’s given us a chance to win,” Watchorn said.

Despite the rude awakening to begin the matchup, BU countered with six shots on goal in the first six minutes, including a three-on-one chance that was brushed off by the Black Bears’ Finnish freshman goaltender Kiia Lahtinen.

The Terriers were creating good looks in the second half of the first. Sophomore forward Alex Law burst into the offensive zone and attempted to pass the puck to junior forward Sydney Healey driving the net. The puck bounced off the mass of bodies crowding the net before it squeaked past Lahtinen off Healey’s stick.

“Honestly, I didn’t even realize it went in until Lawsy gave me the biggest hug I‘ve ever received,” Healey said. “I think it really helps playing with such good players and players that are always looking for me on the ice.”

With about a minute left to play in the first period, graduate defenseman Julia Shaunessy’s pass was broken up along the blue line by Maine freshman forward Frederikke Foss. Foss drove the puck into the Terriers’ zone and got a shot off through Shanahan’s five-hole. Miraculously for the Terriers, the puck glanced off the far pole and out of the crease, and Shanahan covered the puck to kill the play before any damage could be done.

The Black Bears took advantage of the intermission going into the second period.

The first penalty of the game was called just under three minutes into the second on a trip that sent BU junior defenseman into the boards. The Terriers commanded the puck and sent three pucks to the net, but Maine killed off the power play and took the puck into their offensive zone to fire off a flurry of pucks, forcing Shanahan to make four saves in seven seconds. BU was finally able to clear after winning a faceoff.

Maine dominated the second period. The Black Bears created constant offensive pressure, and after the power play, the Terriers were hardly able to keep the puck in their offensive zone as Maine consistently broke up passes and closed up any breathing room to prevent BU from being able to consistently set up any plays.

The Terriers were outshot 11-5, and Shanahan was left to clean up most of the mess herself. She kept the Black Bears out of the net, and BU went into the locker room after the second with the lead still in hand.

BU managed the puck better coming out of the gate in the third period, but none of the time spent in the Maine zone produced any quality chances at a goal.

Law granted the Black Bears their first power play with the clock just under seven minutes, but the BU penalty kill remained strong, having only given up two goals in 23 chances so far this season.

Just 40 seconds later, the special teams took the ice again as the Terriers were handed another man advantage. Freshman forward Lola Reid created offensive pressure, missing the net three times and getting Lahtinen to bite on a wide fourth look. The puck then glanced off the boards behind the net and straight to senior defenseman Tamara Giaquinto, who rocketed a one-timer into the wide-open net to double the lead with under three minutes left.

The Black Bears pulled their goalie after BU was able to take a couple more shots. The extra skater could not help them cut into the deficit, and Shanahan earned her second shutout of the season.

“Every weekend, we’re proving to ourselves and each other that we’re a good hockey team, and if we stick to what we do well, then we should come out on top,” Watchorn said.

BU will travel to Syracuse University to play a two-game non-conference series next weekend on Oct. 25 and 26.