Off-Ice News

Men’s hockey names Ryan Greene and Shane Lachance captains for 2024-25 season

The Boston University men’s hockey team named Shane Lachance (left) and Ryan Greene (right) co-captains for the 2024-25 season. Photo by Gracie Davenport.

Junior Ryan Greene and sophomore Shane Lachance will captain the 2024-25 Boston University men’s hockey team, marking a piece of program history.

Lachance will be the first ever sophomore to wear a ‘C’ for the Terriers, and Greene will be the first junior captain since Dante Fabbro in 2018-19. Junior Devin Kaplan was named assistant captain.

It will be BU’s first leadership group without a senior as captain since 2014-15, when Matt Grzelcyk was the team’s sole captain as a junior, according to BU Hockey Stats.

“I’m excited that Ryan, Shane and Devin were voted to lead our team for the upcoming season,” BU head coach Jay Pandolfo said in a press release. “All three of them have earned the respect of their teammates, coaching staff and support staff.”

Lachance is the grandson of legendary BU head coach Jack Parker, and he has been around the program for his entire life. A physical 6-foot-5 forward from Andover, Mass., he tallied 13 goals and 14 assists last season.

And though Lachance is only a rising sophomore, he’ll turn 21 years old on August 30. Ironically, he’s older than both Greene and Kaplan. 

Greene has been a steady source of production for the Terriers through his first two seasons. His 36 points last season were the fourth-most on the team, behind only Macklin Celebrini, Lane Hutson and Quinn Hutson. 

Kaplan, a bruising forward with a great shot, scored five goals and notched 23 points for BU last season.

“While this is the first time all three will be wearing letters, they’ve all demonstrated leadership abilities during their time at BU and embody what it means to be a Terrier,” Pandolfo added. “I look forward to working with them during the upcoming season as we once again compete for a national title.”