Game Previews, Women's Hockey

Women’s hockey preps for weekend series against UConn after five weeks off

Julia Nearis skates against UConn’s Kaitlyn Yearwood last February.
Photo by Caroline Fernandez

Coming off of a five-week break, the Boston University women’s hockey team (1-2) will head to Storrs, Connecticut to take on the University of Connecticut Huskies (5-5-1). The Huskies are tied for third in the Hockey East standings with 18 wins and a .545 win percentage, compared to the Terriers’ three points and ninth place rank.

The Terriers have only played three times this season, where they split a series with New Hampshire and suffered a 1-4 loss to their same upcoming opponent. At the mid-December game, the Terriers were tenth in the national polls before moving down the list because of an aggressive Husky squad and Covid cancellations.

The Huskies, with a few more games under their belt, will enter the series after sweeping and shutting out the UNH Wildcats. The Huskies have two solid contenders to start in net with Tia Chan and Sam Carpentier-Yelle. Chan, the Ontario freshman, has started in two of the last 3 games, posting a .953 save percentage and a 1.32 goals against average. Carpentier-Yelle, the third-year from Quebec, will likely serve as the backup netminder with a .901 save percentage and a 2.57 goals against average. Each has posted two shutouts this season.

On the front line, Savannah Bouzide leads the Huskies with nine points off of six goals and three assists, followed by Viki Harkness with eight (6g 3a), Jada Habisch with seven (3g 4a), and Natalie Snodgrass also with seven from three goals and four assists. Worth noting is Snodgrass’ success when playing the Terriers, especially in the December game. Snodgrass opened up the scoring just four minutes into the first period before assisting the next two goals for a three point weekend.

On the Terrier lineup, we’ll likely see some very eager players who have been waiting over a month to play. Between postponements and injuries, the Terriers will arrive in Storrs with some extra tenacity that may be overlooked by the Huskies.

So far this season, the Terriers have seen three different netminders take over the BU goal. Last year’s starter, Corinne Schroeder, currently posts a three GAA and a .878 save percentage, followed by Kate Stuart’s 4.07 GAA and a .867 save percentage. Having only played in three collegiate games, Nicole McGuigan was able to relieve some of the goaltender-stress in the third period against UConn, making 3 saves for a perfect 1.00 save percentage.

With only three games played the point leaders are obviously subject to change, but leading the scarlet and white right now is junior Courtney Correia with four points from four assists, followed by sophomore Julia Nearis with three (2g 1a), senior Captain Jesse Compher with two (2g), and freshman Clare O’Leary with two from one goal and one assist.

The team is looking to get back into the win column with a weekend sweep and an uninterrupted remainder of the season.

Puck drop is set for Jan. 23 at 1 & 24 at 3, with both games held at Walter Brown Arena.