Former Terrier Fortunato gets the last laugh in dramatic 4-3 win over BU

Former Terrier Brandon Fortunato netted an early goal and a last-second game-winner to lead #7/6 Quinnipiac by BU 4-3 at Agganis Arena on Saturday night.

The Bobcats (17-5-1, 7-4-1 in ECAC) took the quick lead less than four minutes in on a short-side shot by freshman Desi Burgart that snuck by junior netminder Jake Oettinger. Quinnipiac would double their lead at 12:37 through Fortunato, who fired a wrist shot from Oettinger’s right that got through a sea of Bobcats and Terriers in front before finding the top right corner.

Fortunato was a Terrier for two years, before joining Quinnipiac ahead of his junior campaign.

“When he was here, he was really good for us,” remarked BU head coach Albie O’Connell. “Things just didn’t work out.”

Going behind by two goals for their second game in a row, the Terriers (8-9-3, 7-5-2 in Hockey East) dug in, and found their opener just two minutes after Bobcats’ second, as a feed in front by sophomore Ty Amonte found the upper body of junior Patrick Curry at the goalmouth and redirected into the Quinnipiac goal. It was Curry’s sixth goal on the season, and Amonte’s third assist.

With less than two minutes to play in the period, Amonte then provided BU with their equalizer, firing a shot by junior goaltender Andrew Shortridge while the Terriers were on the penalty kill. Willman’s assist was his fourth in the 2018-19 campaign, and Amonte’s goal was his fifth, capping off a two-point period for the Norwell, Mass. native. Still, despite his team’s rally to come back, O’Connell wasn’t satisfied with BU’s early effort.

“When you play a good hockey team, you have to start on time,” said the BU coach.

The offensive fireworks stalled in the middle stanza, as both netminders came up with big saves on top-tier opportunities. The lone goal of the period came from Quinnipiac freshman Daniel Winslow who poked home a pass inside to regain the Bobcats lead 6:22 into the second. The Terriers threatened with power play chances throughout the period, but ultimately headed into second intermission down 3-2.

It didn’t take long into the game’s final frame for BU to find their third goal, as sophomore Shane Bowers lit the lamp 7:35 into period on a feed in front from senior Ryan Cloonan. The goal continued Bowers’ hot streak of three goals in two games, and gave the Canadian his eighth tally of the season. The assist for Cloonan marked his third as a senior, all coming within the last four games.

The teams traded opportunities for the rest of the third, with the most notable coming on a penalty shot won by Quinnipiac sophomore Joe O’Connor. However, the defenseman’s bid was denied by Oettinger, who flawlessly turned away wave after wave of Quinnipiac attacks throughout the period en route to a 40-save performance.

“That was a huge play in the game,” commended O’Connell regarding Oettinger’s penalty shot save. “I think Jake has played really well these last 5, 6 games.”

Oettinger’s counterpart Shortridge was equally impressive late for the Bobcats, and the game remained deadlocked into the waning moments of the period. However, on the final rush of regulation, a last-second effort by Brandon Fortunato on a goalmouth scramble found the back of the net with two seconds to play. It was the senior’s second score of the game, and a goal holding special significance for the former Terrier.

“It’s a pretty special feeling”, said Fortunato. “I felt good out there.”

With their 2019 unbeaten streak broken in heartbreaking fashion, the Terriers will look to turn the page quickly as they host Merrimack on Monday at 4pm.

1. Some mental mistakes at times and a tough ending but we played ok. The way we lost stung but we need to jump back on track Monday. Go terriers🐾

2. Heartbreaking loss, given that we overcame questionable officiating, had two comebacks, and were posed for an overtime crapshoot; in spite of not playing very well for most of the game. The lack of intensity from the start in a key game such as this was troubling, but to my mind the most egregious deficiency was/is the power play. IMO whoever is coaching the PP needs to reassess their strategy. We had two back-to-back PPs early in the game, and the combined net result was a total of one shot in four minutes. Watching this season’s time eroding repetitive perimeter passing, and predictable movement patterns, the end result of which is no (or very few) shots must be addressed. We have a number of elite players whose creativity is being nullified and stifled by the requirement to adhere to the “PP System” which sucks. I find myself hoping for a broken play that will allow some freewheeling and creativity to be generated. When other facets of our game are less than ideal, a productive PP will go a long way to making up for those deficiencies. Instead, the PP is a most glaring deficiency in and of itself. Sorry to say IMO, PSD.

3. Paul we struggle on the power play at times because of our creativity. I like our entry I like the way we move the puck myself the bu power play and opposing teams see us moving the puck on perimeter we are wheeling and dealing on perimeter which allows penalty killers to stay firm in there box. I saw last night our D tried to get shots off on power play which were blocked I even saw Krys eat one on power play which is dangerous in and of itself if it springs a guy. I like the passing on perimeter but guys can’t all be stationary the idea of a power play and hockey in general is to create odd man advantages you have a 5-4 move create a 3-2 or a 3-1 when a teams box breaks down us when you get the quality shots and the slot opens up for that creative play you talk about. Right now all our creativity is on the perimeter. It’s kind of a catch 22 because I want them to have patience but I need them to move there feet. This loss was tough but we need to get over it. This is a funny game who knows maybe we will meet this team again. That celebration at the end really got my goat I’m not sure who speared the runt but he has my respect no class which is odd because the reason he left us was because he could not get to class. Must be majoring in basket weaving or perhaps coloring.

4. PAthetic PERformance. just waiting to hear the complaints about the lousy officiating.

great save by Big Jake on the Q’s first goal. who would ever think to cover the near side post when a forward shoots from the side?

time to see what Vinnie P can do against the warriors. time to groom him for next year
    and was it Colin who, earlier this week, called Albie the best coach in college today? Hmm (8-9-3) . he should easily win the Spenser Penrose award hands down. greg carvel does not stand a chance

5. Vinnie not sure if you watched the game or just the highlights Jake had 40 saves and one on a penalty shot he also had a great blocker save on break away. I’m sure he wanted the first and last one back but he gave his team a chance to win. That’s what you want your goalie to do. The team did not play well for 60 minutes that’s what cost us the game. Jake has been playing awesome for the past 6/7 games although I would not say Saturday was awesome it was still a good game for him. Also I like Albie as a head coach he is moving this program forward. I’m patient I like a lot of things he is doing we have a good team we are getting better. As to the long term future of this program I think coach will lead us to championships that’s why he’s the best coach.

6. dude, proof is in the pudding in terms of “leading us to championships.” time will tell. and i like Albie a lot so i am willing to give him time

Ott has been very good, i agree, but he can not let in those softies. they are back breakers