From the FreeP: BU men’s hockey set to open regular season vs. UMass

By Kevin Dillon/DFP Staff

Boston University men’s hockey coach David Quinn already got his chance to shake the head coaching cobwebs off with his team’s preseason win, but now the games are for real. Quinn will look for his first Hockey East win Friday night when the No. 19 Terriers take on the University of Massachusetts.

Following his team’s 2-1 win over St. Francis Xavier University, Quinn said the team had a better idea of what it needed to improve on and go over in practice this week. Now that the week is over, Quinn is ready for a game.

“The funny thing about coaching is I get a lot more revved up for practice,” Quinn said. “The week is more intense for me because you feel like you have a lot more of an impact. Right now I feel like my work’s done. They’re prepared, they’re ready to go.”

With the preparation complete, Quinn has some final decisions to make with regards to line combinations. Playing time is based on meritocracy for the Terriers, so the bottom-six forwards and the final two defensive spots were going to be decided on after practice Thursday night.

Quinn noted the upperclassmen have an advantage over the newcomers in terms of playing time in his system of meritocracy though.

“I give the upperclassmen a little bit of rope because I think that’s what you need to do,” Quinn said. “I’ve talked to a few of them and told them, ‘The only reason you might be in the lineup tonight is because you’re an upperclassmen and I think that’s the right thing to do, but you got to perform, got to perform.’”

For more, visit dailyfreepress.com.