From the FreeP: Pair of senior nights highlight final regular-season weekend for men’s hockey

By Tim Healey/DFP Staff

This weekend, the Vinny Saponari Goodbye Tour will make its last stop.

The Northeastern University captain, who got kicked off of the Boston University men’s hockey team after his sophomore season and has helped beat his old team twice already this year, will play the final college hockey games of his career as the No. 19 Terriers and Huskies tangle in a home-and-home series to cap the 2012-13 regular season.

The teams will play at Matthews Arena at 7:30 p.m. Friday on CBS Sports Network before the Terriers’ senior night at Agganis Arena 7 p.m. Saturday.

At 9-19-4 overall and 5-16-4 in Hockey East, the Huskies’ season is, in effect, over. Jim Madigan’s squad is not going to the playoffs for the second time in as many years as he has been at the helm, and the only thing it has to play for — other than pride — is the role of spoiler, as BU jostles for positioning in the Hockey East tournament.

But BU coach Jack Parker is not expecting the Huskies to roll over. If anything, they may play even harder.

“These games mean a lot more to us than they do to Northeastern, so we should be ready to go,” Parker said. “But Northeastern is a good matchup against us and they won’t be uptight — they have got nothing to lose. We have got something to lose.”

For more, including BU’s lines and a brief overview of the conference standings, visit dailyfreepress.com.