From the FreeP: Men’s hockey to take on No. 1 UNH

By Annie Maroon/DFP Staff

For the third game in a row, the Boston University men’s hockey team will face the No. 1 team in the nation on Thursday. Last weekend it was a series against now-No. 2 Boston College, who dropped a spot after splitting games with BU. Now the Terriers will face the University of New Hampshire, who took over BC for the nation’s top spot this week.

“They’re doing a few things differently, and they’re doing everything more thorough than they ever have in the past,” said BU coach Jack Parker about the Wildcats (11–1–2, 8–1–1 Hockey East). “I think [UNH coach Dick Umile] was worried about who were going to be his goal scorers, and all of a sudden they’re the highest-scoring team in the league.”

UNH junior Kevin Goumas, who had 34 points last year, already has a league-leading 23 points this year (seven goals and 16 assists). Senior Austin Block ranks second in goals with nine, one behind BC’s Johnny Gaudreau.

Sophomore defenseman Trevor van Riemsdyk has also added 13 points for the Wildcats this season, which leads all Hockey East defensemen.

The Terriers have already lost to the Wildcats twice this year. On Oct. 20, BU (8–5–0, 6–4–0 Hockey East) fell short in its first road game of the year in Durham, N.H., as freshman goalie Sean Maguire gave up four goals and the team struggled.

For more, visit dailyfreepress.com.